2 | Ceremony

I suddenly wake up, remembering the dream I just had. That same dream I have had everyday for the past week.  That was the day Elizabeth and I met our friend, Will Turner. I look over at Elizabeth's bed to see her awake too. She grabs her candle and walks over to her desk. She opens a drawer and pulls out some books and papers, only to reveal the medallion she took from Will, 8 years ago.

"I can't believe you still have that Lizzy," I tell her as she walks over to her mirror and puts the chain around her neck.

"Yes, well I would hardly give it back to him now. What would I tell him? 'I took this from you when you were unconcious 8 years ago but here you go, pirate'"

"Fair point."

Suddenly, there is a knock at the door. Must be Father.

"Elizabeth! Lily?" He keeps knocking loudly. Elizabeth quickly runs over to her bed, knocking over a chair on her way to put her nightgown on. Father needs to calm down.

"Elizabeth, are you alright?" Father asks as he continues to knock loudly. "Are you decent?"

"Yes," Elizabeth yells as she tucks the medallion into her underdress. Father barges through our bedroom door (yes, we share a room) with about 5 maids behind him.

"Still abed at this hour girls?"

One maid, Gretta, opens the curtains, burning our eyes.

"It's a beautiful day." Father says as we adjust our eyes to the light. There are two other maids carrying large boxes.
"I have gifts for you girls." Father tells us as he lifts the lids off the boxes to reveal silky fabric. Elizabeth takes out her dress first. It is a gorgeous gold color with white lace trim and sleves.

"It's beautiful!" She exclaims, huge smile plastered on her lips.

Next, I take out my dress. It is a nice jade green with sequins and black lace trim.
"Father, it's gorgeous!"

"Isn't it." Father says, glad we are happy.

"May I enquire as to the occasion?" I ask him. There must be a catch.

"Does a father need an occasion to dote upon his daughters?" He asks, still smiling at our happiness. We smile at him and go to our changing screens to put our dresses on. The maids follow us to help us into the dresses.
"Actually... I had hoped you might wear them for the ceremony today." Father tells us.

"The ceremony?" I ask, confused as to what ceremony he is referring to.

"Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony." He tells us.

"I knew it!" Elizabeth pipes up.

"Commodore Norrington, as he's about to become. A fine gentleman, don't you think girls? He fancies you, you know Lily."

I gasp as Gretta pulls my corset strings a little too tight. "Father, you know my feelings for him are purely in a sibling way. I love him like a brother, nothing more." I turn to Gretta. "Please don't pull the bloody strings too bloody tight!" I scold her, not loud enough for Father to hear.

"My apologies, Miss."

Elizabeth groans too as her corset is pulled to tight as well.

"Elizabeth? How's it coming?" Father asks her.

"It's difficult to say."

"I'm told it's the latest fashion in London."

"Well, women in London must've learned not to breathe!" I tell Father, as my corset is pulled tight again. The butler comes in as my dress is on.

"My Lord, you have a visitor." He tells Father, then leaves our room. I walk out from behind my changing screen to show Father the dress.

"Lily, you look absolutely beautiful!" He exclaims as he walks down the staircase to see the visitor. I walk down with him only to see Will, looking rather nervous. He probably broke something again.

"Mr Turner! Good to see you again." Father tells him. Will walks over to a tall coffee table and places a long case on it.

"Good day, sir. Miss Swann. I have your order." Will opens the case to reveal a beautiful sword. He picks it up gently and presents it to Father. "The blade is folded steel. That's gold filigree laid into the handle. If I may?" Father hands him the sword carefully. Will balances it on a finger. "Perfectly balanced. The tang is nearly full width of the blade." Will throws the sword up in the air and catches it, presenting it to Father again.

"Impressive. Very impressive." Father tells him. "Commodore Norrington's going to be very pleased with this." He hands Will the sword again and he places it in the case.

"Do pass my compliments onto your master." Father says, not noticing the disappointment in Wills eyes. Will is the one who makes the swords, Mr Brown only drinks and passes out but always takes credit for things he hasn't done.

"I shall. A craftsman is always pleased to hear his work is appreciated." Will says sadly.

"Don't be silly Father. Will makes everything while Mr Brown drinks too much and takes all the credit."

"My apologies, Mr Turner. You make a beautiful sword." Father tells him sincerly. Will was about to reply when Elizabeth walked down the stairs, looking amazing. Will couldn't take his eyes off her. They love eachother, but neither will admit it to themselves. Bloody idiots in my opinion.

"Elizabeth! You look absolutely stunning!" Father tells her.

"Will!" she says. "It's so good to see you!" She finally got to the bottom of the stairwell. "I had a dream about you last night."

"About me?"

"Elizabeth, is that proper...?" Father scolded but she cut him off.

"About the day we met. Do you remember?"

"How could I forget, Miss Swann?"

"Will, how many times must I ask you to call me Elizabeth?"

"At least once more, Miss Swann. As always." Will wouldn't dear call her Elizabeth in front of Father. Elizabeth looked pissed off.

"There. See? At least the boy has a sense of propriety." Father tells her, glad Will didn't call her by her first name. "Now, we really must be going."

"Good day, Mr Turner." Elizabeth says coldly as she followed Father out the door.

"Good day... Elizabeth. Lily." He said, not loud enough for Elizabeth to hear. We left in the carriage to the Fort for the ceremony.