14 | condemnation

11/23/2015

chapter fourteen ;
CONDEMNATION

FOR ONCE, WHEN Monday morning began, I did not feel the overpowering urge to rip my hair out. The school day was reduced to a half day, and then I could sleep late for the next week.

 The only con of Thanksgiving Break was that I could not spend any of it with Benny.

 Tonight my family and I would catch a plane to Tennessee. During Fall Break, we had not had the chance to visit our family, so this time it was a sure thing.

 Despite the coming absence of Benny, I was quite overjoyed to reunite with the rest of my family and friends. Usually I attempted to push the deeper thoughts of them away to distract myself from the aching in my heart. Before California, I had best friends and loved ones and a life. Naturally, I was excited to return to all of that, even if only temporarily.

 Earlier than ever Benny and I met up and walked to school. Despite the fifteen-minute walk, we arrived earlier than we ever had; Benny had time to devour both his and my own square breakfast pizzas.

 Fourth period – History – was the final period of the day. Everyone buzzed with excitement, quite ecstatic to leave, myself included. Several times over I imagined how my family and old friends would react to my surprise visit. How Miracle and Hayle would feel, and how I would feel to see them in person again.

 To top the morning off, Ms. Cook killed the lights and played War Horse, projected on a large, white sheet against the wall. We weren't required to watch it, although we did have to keep our voices down.

 Kenny and I had already seen the movie, so we sat in a corner of the room, speaking lightly. He was surprisingly quite interested in my old life in Tennessee, eager for the stories and the differences between the states and the people I had come to know.

 Then one particular subject seemed to strike Kenny – one that he was reluctant to mention, but very curious of. During a short silence, his features pulled into a shy expression. His voice was softer, his words drawling:

 "Kayla . . . When did you meet . . . Leon?"

 The name was a spark against my heart, but there was no pain to follow – only affection and yearning. A smile formed on my lips.

 "I met him in kindergarten. Along with Miracle, he was one of the first real friends I've ever had. And along with Miracle, he was the only one who was still my best friend as the years passed."

 "Were you two close? Like you and Miracle?"

 "We were close, but not like that," I admitted. "Back then, I guess spending a lot of time with a boy outside of school was kind of intimidating. But we were always together in school. He always made me laugh, and did and said nice things to cheer me up. I don't know, we just stuck together every chance we got."

 Kenny smiled. "Tell me about your time together."

 Now I was grinning from ear to ear, the memories flooding back to me like they spilled from a waterfall. Speaking of Leon, I realized, felt wonderful. And for a moment, I could imagine that, rather than Kenny, he was by my side. It was easier imagining so considering the fact that Leon and I had been in the exact same position – sitting side-by-side in a dark classroom's corner.