Can't Judge the Classics

Chapter Five: 

We walked arm in arm into the studios chatting lightly and smiling. Everyone had gathered in the audition room and were standing around mingling waiting for the panel to come out and give their final verdict. I glanced around to see if I could see David but he wasn't here yet. I would not be surprised if he was late, he just seemed like that kind of person. The entire room fell into a deadly silence s Russell came in along with one of the casting directors. Slipping in the back silently with a bouquet of flowers hidden behind him was David. Wondering what lucky girl would be given those flowers I looked over at him I caught his eye and he smiled giving me a thumbs up with his free hand. I giggled to myself and faced the front. I didn't care what happened. It would be what it would be.

"Thank you all for auditioning for the role. The Who family would have loved to have all of you but there can only be one. For the lot of you who don't get the role which will be a large proportion, remember that you can make it one day as long as you try. Now without further ado our new companion is Zoe Griffin." I fell onto the floor. Yes I actually collapsed in the moment. The other hopeful actors clapped for me politely and attempted to hide their disappointment before filing out after being told it was in their contract that they couldn't tell anyone. Macy jumped around me in circles screaming that I got the part, I got the part. She was completely oblivious to the fact I was still on the floor and so was I until a strong pair of hands lifted me up gently and placed me on my feet.

"Congratulations," David whispered into my ear, handing me the bouquet of flowers I had seen him with earlier. I pulled him into a massive hug and attempted not to cry.

"Thank you," I mumbled into his chest. Tears began to stain my cheeks and it didn't seem like they were going to stop. I quickly wiped them away and stood up straight. Russell walked over to us smiling.

"Zoe, great to meet you. Obviously you were the best one auditioning for the job and it will be great to have you on the team. Now filming starts back up properly next month in Cardiff but for the rest of the afternoon we are going to organise your costume and set up your studio dressing room here. Get you all prepared for playing Lilly Clarke. David can take you around. It will be good for you two to get to know each other."

"Thank you for the opportunity Russell. That sounds great, I guess I will see you in Cardiff?"

"Yes maybe, David, take her to Alice in wardrobe would you?"

"Sure Russell. Come on Zoe let's go." I quickly said goodbye to Macy and told her I would see her before I left for work. David smiled grabbing my hand and taking me down a long corridor before twisting right and left until we ended up in wardrobe. I just knew I would get lost very easily and wondered if this building had a map. Even the blueprints would work for me.

"Hey Alice, you in?" He asked knocking on the door frame.

"Yeah, hey David. What's crackalackin hot stuff?" An eccentric black hair girl asked from the corner of the room surrounded by clothes, shoes and the occasional hat. She smiled brightly when she caught my eye. "Hello, Alice Sterling lovely to meet you," She said stepping out of her pile and coming over to shake my hand.

"Hey Alice, not much babe. This is Zoe Griffin, the new companion." Hot stuff? Babe? I tried not to think about it, he didn't belong to me anyway.

"Nice to meet you Alice, I'm here to get my first companion costume sorted," I said shaking her hand.

"Ooh yes! My favourite part, new companion outfits. This one never changed his clothes," She said pointing at David with a disgusted face.

"Hey you can't judge the classics. If it's not broken don't fix it," He told us defensively.