4. Football ⚽

He was like a breath of fresh air. He was not like the typical hot boys, who were mostly cocky and jerks all the way to Mars and back. He was nice to her, he seemed to have a good relationship with his aunt, and he was respectful to both teachers and students at school.

It was almost unbelievable, since he had the looks of a bad boy.

As she sat there ticking off Matthew's pros on her fingers, Gale was glaring the hell out of the windshield.

They were both watching when Matthew walked out of his house.

"You owe me, Blake," Gale broke the silence.

"For?" She asked, slightly annoyed that he had disrupted her concentration.

"For inviting him to ride in my car, that's what."

She rolled her eyes. "Jeez, get over it already, Gale. He is nice. Trust me, you will like him."

That would be so easy, wouldn't it? Gale thought to himself. He glanced at the approaching boy again. His eyes, on their own accord he could have sworn, checked him out. The hair that fell into his face in a purely sexy way, the way his eyes...

So easy.

The ride to school was mostly quiet. Emily tried to start a conversation twice but failed. She constantly checked the rearview mirror though, meeting Matt's eyes and giving him a small reassuring smile.

Gale kept his eyes on the road all through, his hands conspicuously gripping the steering wheel. He oversped all the way to school, which meant they got there faster than ever before.

"Trying to kill somebody?" Emily grumbled when he parked the car.

He grabbed his bag from the console and looked at her. "Football practice starts today. Will you wait for me or will you get another ride?"

"I'll come watch then we can leave together," she answered. She turned towards Matt. "What about you?"

His eyes turned to Gale then he said, "Actually, I was thinking of trying out for the football team."

Emily squealed and clapped her hands. "Great! So we'll all be together. They are accepting new players, right, Gale?"

He jerked the keys out of the ignition and said, "There are tryouts today." Then his eyes shot to Matt on the mirror. "Think you can make it?"

Matt shrugged. "I hope. I was starting forward in my previous school."

Emily and Gale shared a look. Gale was the starting forward for the Eden Tigers, their school's football team.

"All the best, dude." Gale said before getting out of the car and slamming the door behind him.

Emily and Matt got out of the car too and started towards the school building.

"It would be great being on the team with him," Matt stated.

Emily wondered whether he hadn't noticed Gale's cold demeanour towards him. "Yes, it would."

"What position does he play?" Matt asked.

She nibbled on her bottom lip. "Forward."

"Oh." He pushed the front door open and they stepped into a crowded hallway. "He starts?"

"Yes." Always.

"Okay."

They could see Gale ahead of them, standing with two other boys. Trevor and Scott, who were also on the football team.