3. Chapter 16.

"What you deny or ignore, you delay. What you accept and face, you conquer."

Alex's fist landed on his face, hitting his jaw like a bull's eye. Perry flinched in pain but he didn't budge. He's a tough one, he thought looking at the figure that still stood firm in front of him. And despite the impact of Alex's blow, the guy just gave him a smirk to let him know that he wasn't going to be defeated. It was just the two of them standing face to face in an abandoned basement that was cold and dim. Drei and the kids were nowhere in sight.

"Is that all you've got?" It was obvious that he was taunting him to try another punch and that irked the hell out of him. He sent another blow on the opposite side of his face, particularly on his cheek. One jab followed another - left and right side of his face, his cheeks and finally, on his eye - and he didn't stop until Perry's face was beaten black and blue. Just as Perry was knocked out cold, he grinned victoriously. It felt fucking good, he thought. Beating the shit out of this bastard would be worth his while and he could do this all day. His version of one of the scenes from the movie Fight Club faded into the background when he felt Drei tapping his left thigh as if bringing him back to the reality that was now. He blinked and that's when he realized where they were. Drei was in his left, Matty was beside her, and the only thing that divided him from Perry was Zooey, who was sitting in the high chair they requested.

Bumping into an ex fling, ex-girlfriend, ex-date, or whatever type of ex that person is, in Metro Manila is very unlikely, except of course if you guys are moving in the same circle of friends. But most of the time these chance encounters are mere coincidences triggered by the forces of nature and the chances are always two out of five. It wasn't unusual for Alex and Drei to bump into someone from their past. In fact, they have run into quite a few of them already. The girls were nothing but a notch on Alex's bedpost and the guys were just a series of friendly dates that Drei's friends had fixed up for her. But nevertheless they were all insignificant individuals that they both shared a short-lived kind of relationship with. They weren't a threat to each of them especially now that they're officially together. However today was a little bit out of the ordinary for Alex and this was one coincidental encounter that he wouldn't dare forget. Thinking that it was just some random guy who was trying his luck with Drei back at the hypermarket, his assumption was proven wrong. There he was in the flesh, alive and breathing and giving him a knowing smile while they stood face to face. It was Perry. At that split second when they shook hands, his caveman instinct started to kick in and he suddenly felt territorial. Why? Well because he was the last guy that Drei had a serious relationship with that lasted for a year and left a significant mark in Matty's life.

"So what do you do for a living, Alex?" he heard Perry ask. He lost track of what they were talking about.

"I have a home based job." He answered. "I work as a web developer."

"That's cool." Perry flashed a knowing smile. "Home based jobs are really in the trend nowadays, huh?"

"Yeap."

"Don't you like the usual day job? You know going to work every day, that sort of thing?"

"Well, I used to work in a call center for almost five years and the pay was great and all."

"So how is it compared to your old job?"

"The pay is actually pretty great," he pointed out. "Just like a normal day job. I work five times a week, off on weekends and the good part is my time is flexible."

"What made you give up your old career and settle for a home based one?"

"We had Zooey." And the very mention of her name, the little girl glanced at her father's direction and smiled at him. "And I wanted to help Drei out on that part."