2. Chapter 16.

• Dedicated to @jodieetorres

"The best is yet to come..."

"What the—" Alex blurted out as soon as the door swung open and Matty turned to look at him. Cursing wasn't allowed around Matty, it was a rule that Drei had already imposed ever since. He glanced at Matty and then back at the people who were sitting in the living room with Drei – his dad who was playfully wiggling his eyebrows at him, his Tita Chi who was waving and lastly, it was his Tita Caroline, who was supposedly scheduled to arrive two weeks from now, smiling at him. A mixture of shock and panic ran across his face. He was stunned for a moment looking at them once more and then his eyes caught Drei's, who was giving him a 'save-me' look.

"What a surprise!" he uttered, forcing a smile on face and he finally stepped inside carrying the grocery bags with him. He placed it on the kitchen counter and found Manang Pilar finishing up her sweet and sour fish. "Manang andito ka din?" the old lady turned and nodded.

"Kamusta na, hijo?" she greeted and then she rummaged through the grocery he placed on the counter. "Kanina pa kami dito, ano ba pwede mailuto dito sa dala mo? Puro isda yung nakita naming sa ref eh at saka gulay..." Alex glanced at the dishes that she had already cooked – Sweet and sour fish, Adobong Talong, and Chopsuey. "Ahhh good at may nabili ka baboy..." she praised as she fished out the pork from the plastic bag and then she shooed Alex out of the kitchen.

Alex made his way to the living room where his unexpected guests were. He sighed as he found them talking to Matty, now asking him about school and the whatnots. It seemed to him that they were entertained by little boy. Why were they here anyway? He made it clear with his dad and his Tita Chi that Drei wasn't his girlfriend and that it wasn't the right time yet for him to let them meet her. And here they were unexpectedly showing up on a Tuesday night, they left him with no choice but to just go with it. But seeing his Tita Caroline, coming home earlier than he expected, was the highlight of Alex's evening. First of all, his Tita Caroline didn't have any clue about the real score between him and Drei. His Tita Caroline had already joined the bandwagon of his nosey aunts who's been bugging him about his lovelife. But getting the facts straight out to his Tita Caroline has been his dilemma ever since she knew about Drei and the baby. As he inched closer, Caroline stood up to meet her nephew halfway.

"So happy to see you, hijo!" Alex found himself wrapped in his Tita Caroline's hug and he suddenly felt like he was a little boy again. Caroline patted his back. He missed her. Ever since Marivic left them, Caroline filled in that role she left in Alex's life. She became a mother to him and after staying with the Legaspi's when Dan left to pursue his masters degree in the US, Caroline became Alex's legal guardian. Caroline pulled away from the hug and gave her favorite nephew a once-over. "Kamusta ka naman?"

"I'm okay, Madam!" Alex just smiled. "Don't worry about me!"

"Are you sure?" Caroline's brows furrowed. "You look a little tired... pumapayat ka ata!" Noticing the ark circles under her nephew's eyes and the worn out look, she turned to Drei. "Maybe you guys haven't been eating the right kind of food. Pinag lilihian mo ba siya, Andrea?"

Drei looked at her baffled. "Ummm... hindi naman po Tita..."

"Akala ko kasi you are..." she said and then she turned her attention back to Alex. "Nanlalalim ang mata mo, hijo... and you look so haggard." Alex just grimaced. "Good thing, Pilar is here to take care of you all... para makakain na kayo ng tama..."