[12] Overwhelming Regrets

Hello there... here's another chapter for you guys...

Hope you'll enjoy this..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 12

“They’re in the grand foyer.”

A woman probably in her early 40s answered the door and told me where Nate and Verna were.

She showed me the way and left when I was already near the foyer. I turned to her and said thanks. I was surprised to see Nate hugging a girl, which I guessed was Verna, since this is their house, but she doesn’t have her jilbab on. She was facing the window while Nate caressed and kissed her hair.

I stopped and just watched them. I missed seeing him like this, caring for someone. The Nate I knew was still in there somewhere, it might be deep, but in time we can surely pull him out.

I smiled.

“Ahemm!”

The two let go of their hugging when they heard me mimic a gentle cough to attract their attention. The girl whom I said earlier was Verna hasn’t faced me yet.

“Looks like you got a nice view there buddy!” I teased at him.

“Aaah… I called Chris to pick me up.” He turned to her.

“Sure it is!” She answered. My jaw dropped when she faced us.

I think I saw her somewhere, but not in school. I kept on thinking but nothing pops in my mind.

“I’m pretty sure you’ll also say I look familiar…” She smiled and turned to Nate, “ain’t that right Nate?” he just place his hand on his head.

“I’m Verna, minus the jilbab.” She said with a smile while encircling her face.

I laughed at my own reaction.

I turned to Nate. “I came as soon as I got your text.”

“Thanks a lot!” He said.

“Your clothes are probably dry by now, come…” She went to their laundry area while she let us wait in their mini bar.

“Dude! I think I saw her somewhere else.” I told Nate. I kept on thinking where have I seen this familiar face of hers.

“Stop with your nonsense bro. She’s still Verna.” He affirmed.

She came back with Nate’s clothes already folded.

“Here you go.”

She handed it to Nate, “fresh and clean.” Then she smiled. I never saw her smile that way. It’s like she is free to share her genuine smiles under their roof.

“You know, I never saw you smile like that before.” I commented.

“As if we can laugh when your whole football team are picking at us.” She said it straight. Nate and I were out of words.

“You need not worry about that anymore.” I heard him said.

“Huh?” She gasped, “Seriously?”

“I won’t let them hurt you. Not anymore. You have my word on that.” He assured her. I can see the smile on her face. She was like glowing on what he said.

“Don’t you guys want to stay for lunch?” She asked us. I looked at Nate for an answer. He checked on his wristwatch.