Ch. 6

It's 2:01am.

On a normal night Mitch would be asleep but this isn't a normal night. He's jetlagged and ecstatic and so eager for the next week that sleep isn't even on his radar. It should be. He has this week in Paris planned out nearly to the minute and tomorrow starts early.

Also, there's this distressing combo of relief and guilt that isn't helping the sleep situation.

Relief. He has seven days away from Scott and the two weeks of awkward, uncomfortable interactions that have become their normal now. Scott's been different; his jokes more biting and a constant edge to his words - and that's when they see each other at all. Mitch has been keeping more to himself since Scott's comment and the resulting argument during that horrendous Superfruit filming and Scott's been out of the house on his own more than usual. A week without tiptoeing around sounds amazing right now.

But the guilt. He's never wanted to be away from Scott for any length of time, ever, and this is new and uncomfortable and confusing. He's seen the puppy dog eyes from Scott for days now every time the subject of this trip has come up. Scott didn't want him to go, but he didn't want to go to Paris with him either, and right now Mitch is grateful for that but it doesn't feel too great to want to be away from someone you're joined at the hip with. Plus, y'know, he knows exactly why this is all happening and that's probably the biggest source of guilt.

Things are really, really weird.

Mitch was pretty sure the moment he woke up with Scott naked in his bed that they would be and, so far, he's been right.

And those things are not getting better.

And it hits him suddenly, hours later, his body fighting sleep and his mind fighting the growing concern that he and Scott will never be truly normal again.

Paris is it. If this week on different continents doesn't help them get over the awkwardness, even a little bit... well, it's hard to finish that thought.

No.

Mitch forces himself to finish the thought because it's fucking important.

If this week doesn't stop them from drifting apart, they're going to drift away.

At 4:41am Mitch drifts into a fitful sleep.