Epilogue

“Ma, Dada said I can be a commercial model. Can I be a model?”

I flashed Marc a glare as he entered my study with Katherine propped on his shoulders. My daughter, five years young, her wavy hair curling and teasing her cheeks, was a female version of her father. Her eyes, brown with flecks of blue, were big round orbs that shine bright. She had dimples on both cheeks and her smile was the same smile as her dad’s. The turquoise heart ring that I was once wearing around my neck was dangling around hers now, as she was the keeper of my and her father’s hearts.

She was good with words, something she got from me, but her father got her started with ballet this early. Turns out our little girl could dance too.

I stopped writing and I turned to the man that my daughter was calling her ‘Dada.’ Marc was Katherine’s godfather, along with Baron, but our little Kat preferred Marc more over Baron.

Well, I didn’t blame her. Marc was taken with my daughter, like she was the cutest thing he has ever seen. In fact, Marc was spoiling Kat even more than Neil and I did.

Marc lifted her off his shoulders and placed her in front of me. She hugged me, and I kissed her on her hair.

“Yes, love, you can be a model, but maybe when you’re older,” I said, and she squealed in delight. She ran out of the study, saying she’s going to prepare (for what, I didn’t hear), and I looked up at Marc, exasperated.

“Marc—” I started, and he winked at me. He still was cute and handsome despite being in his late thirties. I wonder when he’ll find The One.

“I know, I know. I am spoiling your baby. But she’s just so freaking adorable, L,” he reasoned out, leaning against my table.

“What are you working on?” asked my house’s most frequent visitor.

After Neil and I got married a year and a half after our engagement and had Katherine immediately afterwards, Marc and Neil had been the bestest of friends. The gang pretty much got bigger, especially after Nate and Andy introduced another cutie, Gabriel, into our group. Gabbie, born a month after I gave birth to Katherine, was my little girl’s partner in crime.

That left Marc—the only single person in our group without a family of his own or a girlfriend. He compensated by being the favorite godfather of both Gabbie and Kat.

Marc hazarded a peek on my computer monitor, and I quickly Alt + Tab-ed my way so that he wouldn’t see my latest project. He rolled his eyes. “Whatever it is you’re writing, just make me look good,” Marc quipped, and I laughed.

“I really like your self-confidence, Marc,” I joked, and he laughed. He kissed me on the forehead before telling me that he’s taking Kat and Gabbie to the clubhouse for a swim. That was what Kat was preparing for. I nodded, telling him I might follow them after a couple of hours.

“Take care of the kids, Marc!” I reminded him as he left me and my study. I heard Kat thundering down the stairs telling her ‘Dada’ that she was ready and that they needed to pick up Gabbie now.

I shook my head at my daughter’s cuteness.

“Where are they going?” asked Neil as he popped his head at the door. Unlike Marc, Neil respected my private space—my study. He rarely entered the place unless needed. He told me only Kat has the right to badger me when I was here inside my ‘world.’

I beckoned him over, and I stood up, wrapping my arms around my husband.

“Clubhouse. You want to follow them so we can have a swim too?” I said, and he shrugged.

“Sure.” He pressed his lips against mine and I clutched him closer to me, deepening the kiss.

“I have a chapter to finish, you know,” I whispered against his lips, his hands going up my back through the fabric of my shirt. I shivered under his touch.

“The book can wait, love,” he whispered, his lips traveling to my ear. He kissed me there, and I still giggled, just like before.

“You told them we’ll be a couple of hours late, right?” Neil said, his lips now at the hollow of my neck, and I nodded. Before I knew it, he lifted me off my feet, and I let out the squeal that was similar to my daughter’s.

“I think it’s time that Kat gets a brother,” Neil said huskily as he took the stairs two steps at a time.

He deposited me on the bed, looking at me dearly and lovingly. I touched his face, and Neil turned his head so he could kiss my palm.

I sighed contentedly. “I think so too,” I whispered back.

Nine months later, my book chronicling my and Neil’s love story was turned into a TV series.

Nine months later, Jeremiah and Conrad, identical twins, were born to us.

The gang just got bigger.

Way bigger.

 ---

Jeremiah started to wail, and as always, Conrad followed. I was about to stand when I heard Neil get up. He whispered into my ear that he’d take care of the twins who were in the next room.

I sat up anyway.

On the space that Neil had just vacated, our tape recorder was there, with the neon pink earbuds wrapped around its body.

Press Play.

Track #222.

Neil’s voice whispered into my ears, over the crying of my twins’. After he told me what I needed to do now, an Avril Lavigne song started to play. 

I smiled.

I would never get tired of this game.

 ----

THE END