Playing The Player

:Chapter Eighteen:

"We finally fucking found you. There you are."

Colt and I looked up in surprise as a new voice greeted us. We were seated under the tree at the back of the school, where there was a light canopy of bushes to shade us from both the sun and other people. Colt thought other people meant Blake and Liam, while I interpreted other people was somebody who may be a new student.

"Hey," Colt greeted, slightly coldly as Blake sat on the other side of me, while Liam sat in front of me. Colt looked at me inquiringly, as if asking me what I wanted. I shrugged, not really minding whether or not they sat here.

I smiled at them, not feeling a lot like talking. Really, all I wanted to do right now was just do some revision in private or go shopping with Courtney, something that didn't require talking about me, but I knew I couldn't. My books weren't with me and Courtney was sick.

"So," Liam was the one who started the conversation, "You want to talk about what happened?"

His voice was awkwardly comforting, as though he wanted to be gentle and considerate but was failing miserable. I mean, come on! These three people surrounding me were the three 'bad' people in our school, and here they were, trying to have a deep and meaningful conversation with the nerdy girl.

I burst out laughing.

It was a mixture of worriedness, stress, and actual hilarity that kept me going. The three of them exchanged glances, and I saw Colt mouth, "Should we be worried?", which of course, only made me laugh even more. It was honestly damn hilarious how they thought they were going to be able to persuade me to have some heart to heart with them. It was kind of cute, actually.

"I'm - I'm fine, thanks," I hiccoughed, little giggles still managing to find their way out.

"Are you sure?" Colt pressed, making my smile grow even wider.

I nodded eagerly, my ponytail bobbing up and down. "Positive. You don't have to worry about me." I turned to Blake, who hadn't said anything. "So, did we get any homework in Economics? We have a test next Friday remember, and I want to get revision."

Blake nodded his head slowly, "Yeah. It's in my locker, let's go and get it."

Before I could reply, Colt interrupted. "I have it here actually, I copied it on my phone."

Blake sent him an icy look before turning to me. "Let's go, Hayleigh."

I pouted; I didn't want to be left alone with him. He seemed a bit too quiet today and it scared me. "Oh, I'll just get it later."

"Hayleigh." His voice was warning and I finally stood up, slightly shaking on my legs for a second. I grasped onto Blake's arm to steady myself and grinned toothily at him when he held me. I felt almost high. The Dylan I knew couldn't have been at this school. It was next to impossible - scratch that, it was impossible.

The walk to his locker was silent. I was thinking over the notes I had gotten for Economics - surely they wouldn't be enough for the test?, and I had no idea what Blake was thinking about as he walked stonily beside me.

We stopped at his locker, and instead of unlocking it and taking out his things like a normal person, he stared at it, almost angrily. I looked at him, confused; wasn't he going to give me the homework? I reached up to tap his shoulder, before pulling away at the last minute, confused as to what I was supposed to do. He looked like he was having some internal debate, and I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to interrupt or just leave him alone.

Summoning up my courage, I piped up, "So Blake - oof!"

So fast I didn't even understand was what happening, I was suddenly pressed up against the locker, my back in line to the locker while my arms were pressed down my side. One of Blake's arms were held up just above my head, supporting him as he leaned closer to me, while the other hand was holding my right wrist.

"I don't really think this is necessary," I said awkwardly, trying to shuffle away like an awkward turtle. He noticed; leaning closer and pressing his forehead against mine so I couldn't move. Stupid, stupid boy.

"I just wanted to ask you something." Blake's breath caressed my face softly, and I looked up into his sparkling navy blue eyes.

I blinked, not really sure on how to start breathing again. "Um. Okay."

His face loomed closer, so our noses were touching. Somewhere in the back of my head, I knew this was wrong. Nina, Nina, Nina, I chanted in the back of my brain, not wanting to lose my train of thought.

"Tell me what happened between you and Dylan Branch," Blake's voice was raw.

Shock settled into my head; was that what he wanted to know? "Nothing happened," I blabbered. "It was like, normal."

"Hails."

"Blake."

"Hayleigh."

"Blakey."

"Blakey?" Blake glared at me. "Where did you get that from?"

I shrugged, trying and failing to keep the smile off my face, "It rhymes with Hayleigh."

He stared at me for a second, before chuckling. "So we're hanging out after school, right?"

I shrugged again. "I guess."

Blake flashed me his perfect white teeth. "Good."

********************************************************************************************

Hey you, yes you with the face, you're fucking AMAZING. :)