three

Harry isn't at school the next day, and Louis keeps the leaf safely tucked in his pocket, planning to give it back to Harry next time he sees him. The day drags on and Louis finds himself thinking of Harry on several occasions, especially in English where he had his first conversation with the curly haired boy, yesterday. 

At lunch he catches two boys huddled around a locker, sniggering to each other whilst they write words with a permanent marker onto the metal. 

"What are you doing?" Louis asks the boys from behind them. He feels the anger rise inside of him as he reads the nasty words written onto Harry's locker.

"Leaving that curly haired twat something to read when he gets back," one of the boys explains with a choke of laughter and the other boy chuckles beside him. It's only when Louis clears his throat that the boys turn around and realise who they are talking to. 

Louis uses both hands to slam the boys against the row of lockers, his palm pressing firmly to their chests as they attempt to wriggle from his hold. 

"Do you want to say that again?" He questions, eyebrows raised as he presses his hands harder. 

"No," one of the boys quickly shakes his head, though the other is much more daring. "Yeah, I do. I said that we were leaving that curly haired twat something to read when he gets back."

"Really?" Louis asks, sarcasm laced in his voice as he grasps hold of the boys collar, bringing him away from the lockers before slamming him back into it. The boy winces in pain but continues to argue. 

"Yeah. Really."

Louis lets go of his grip with a grin, rolling his eyes and laughing coldly as he turns away. He hears a sigh of relief from both of the boys, before he spins on his heel and hits the boy solidly in the throat. 

The two boys get suspended for one day, for vandalising school property. Louis gets suspended for three days and sent home, for committing an act of violence. 

He walks through the school with everybody staring at him, some cowering away with widened eyes as he paces down the centre of the corridor, gatherings of pupils split either side of him.

Louis decides to cut through the forest on his way home; it's sunny outside and it takes longer, and it gives himself time to think before he hands himself over to his mum, who will undoubtedly be extremely angry.

Louis drags his bag along the soil track, occasionally stepping over various roots and leaves sticking out from the ground. He can't help but think of Harry as he stares at the trees, the leaves dancing in the wind that whips past. Louis sticks out his arm as a leaf falls, tucking itself into his palm and lying silent and peaceful. He pulls out Harry's leaf from yesterday and lays it in his other hand, a frown deepening as he runs his thumb over the thin veins of the plant. 

Louis turns as he hears a rustling of leaves and faint footsteps digging into the soil. Harry stands there with his hands tucked into his pockets, his eyes wide and his mouth slightly agape as he stares at Louis.

"Hey," Louis murmurs with a confused smile, dropping when Harry continues to stare. 

"What are you doing here?" Harry whispers, his voice almost silent beneath the muttering of the forest. 

"I was on my way home."

"Why aren't you at school?"

"I was suspended."

Louis watches as Harry's frown deepens and he takes a seat in the middle of the path, digging his fingers into the ground and raking his nails through the soil.