Chapter 4

Chapter Four:

Hayley stood watching her husband she could not let him see that she was worried when he used that voice it meant that something was most certainly wrong. It seemed an eternity and she could feel her heart racing with each of the clock ticking.

‘Lucas, what is it? What the hell is going on?’ she snapped.

His blue eyes flashed at her.  Pain behind them, causing Hayley to automatically regret snapping at him. ‘You need to leave’

‘What?’ Her mind flashed to nearly three years ago when he had done this before, he had told her that he would never leave her, was because she was pregnant he no longer wanted her.

‘Hayley, don’t think I am telling you to leave. I need to explain’

‘Then please do’ her voice was cold, it tore through Lucas’ skin as if it ripped it open.

‘I am saying this to protect both you and our child. There is a threat on London and even if there is a thousandth of a chance that it may come true, I do not want you or the baby here’

‘Threat by whom? Lucas?’

‘The Russians my love’

‘Where?’

‘In London’

‘Where are you sending me?’ Her voice was small, all he wanted to do was to hold her tell her that he was trying to protect her. That her and the baby was his whole world, he was going to protect them until his last breath even if he never did get to see his child born.

‘I was thinking to Scotland the little Islands where it won’t reach you. You and the baby would be safe’

‘What about you?’ She asked although she knew the answer she would not be with him. He would be here in the thick of the danger while she would be there. Alone and worrying about him every phone call she knew she would fear the worse she always did when they were apart.

‘I will need to be here, I will not send my team into danger and me to sit back and relax. You know me Hay that is not me’

‘What about your wife and your unborn child, what will we do if… if…’ she could not speak the words. If we had lost you, how would our child cope then?

‘You think I am doing this because I want to. If I could I would be with you but it is my job you knew that when you married me. Please don’t you think I would rather be wrapped in your embrace everyday then away from you? That I won’t be able to sleep until this is all over and our child and you will be back by my side. I am doing this because I love you more than the world. Just for once will you do as you are told?’ Lucas was getting angry he knew that this would be her reaction in truth he did not blame her; he would have been the same if he was in her position.

The teacher in her wanted to argue tell him that he should not send her away what about her school, her pupils, her family. She could not just pack up her stuff and leave. But she knew being married to a spy that was exactly that she had to do. She placed her hand on her stomach and met her husband eyes. ‘I need you to promise me something’

‘I will try my best’ he knew it was going to be not to die on her not to leave her alone. If he could guarantee it he would but he knew it was something he could not do.

‘Please try and return to me, to us’

‘As I told you as always, I will try my best. Know that I will somehow find to be by your side’

‘Am I going alone Lucas?’ 

‘I am going to take you and then once you are settled in after a few days one of my junior officers is going to come and look after you while I am away’ Lucas said, taking her hand. ‘I will be with you for as long as I can’