Chapter 55

Raidyn

The scholar convention is in three more weeks and you can clearly tell because Duck has been running around snapping orders like crazy. I know Raven's decision to go with Cal probably made him even more inclined to dive into his preparation and it makes me feel sympathetic towards him and his channeled pain.

Next week Raven and Cal marry. I can't believe my little sister will be tying the knot. I never expected Raven to get pregnant before marriage, but I also would've never guessed that she would marry a hardworking farmer turned guard, but Cal always knew.

Everyday Byrd and I are healing and rebuilding ourselves and the kingdom. The loss of our son lessens and I know that someday I might forget completely that we even had a third so close after the birth of Hollis, but something tugs deep within me and I know that I will never be able to forget the sight of the love of my life bleeding out and suffering pain the way she did in the cramped, public barbershop. On her birthday of all days too...I don't know whether or not I'll be able to go in there anymore, I think I will just have to have Paul cut my hair at the castle. My hatred and wrath for revenge on Cynric has only gotten stronger, sharpened compared to the dulling of my feelings of loss and sadness.

The alliance is staying in the kingdom until Raven's wedding, except for the North, they are excused for the declined health of the queen. Elianna will get better, I hope, but until then it really is best for them to limit their travel and stay out of foreign issues. Katsa is probably running around the castle up North now like how Riesner is starting to, I think the two will be able to actually play with each other soon and be aware that they are. I keep trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle in my mind on Cynric's plot behind Elianna's poison, but nothing makes sense.  Why would he poison the daughter of his new wife and mother of his son? What did Elianna ever do to Cynric? Is there still a continuation to Valdus's bloodline somewhere; another cousin perhaps that Cynric is trying to place in power?

Leaving the nursery in the morning, I bump right into Finn. "Looking for something? Or rather, someone?" I ask as Finn is peering down at the ground and at the sides of the halls.

"Yeah." He scratches at the back of his neck. "I was looking for my wife, but it seems she has already started her day. I guess you're next best." Finn smirks. "Are you free?"

"Actually... I am." I smile and Finn falls into step with me. "What were you thinking of?"

"Responsibility." Finn says vaguely and sighs.

"I meant what were you thinking about doing today." I nervously chuckle. "Whats wrong? Soon-to-be fatherhood getting you down?"

"Oh." Finn turns his face away from me. "I just wanted to spend some time with her is all. Yeah, the closer it gets, the more nervous I seem to feel."

"You'll be a fine father, Finn, don't put so much pressure on the situation." I pat him on the back. "Shit." I mumble under my breath and shake my head, "I have plans to hangout with Bren today, why don't you join us?"

"You still hang out with him?" Finn raises his chin.

"Of course." I crane my head to get a look at his face. "Look, I know you only have seen one side of Bren and it's his worst side, but he's much better than how he can be sometimes. He is immature, but he's getting better; you're actually seeing him at his best when he's with Flora."

"Well he has disrespected both my wife and my sister, excuse me for being a little wary of him." Finn crosses his arms. "I guess I can give him another chance."

"Maybe you two will have some awkward tension between you because of Astrid and that whole situation, but I think that both of them would rather just think of their, uh, time together as a joke of sorts..." I wipe my sweaty palms on my slacks.