Chapter 16

The next morning I head downstairs to meet up with Raidyn. He is already fighting with some healers and standing up.

"Did you pop your stitches yet?" I say holding Ries close to my body.

"No and I'm not going to." He rolls his eyes. He moves a couple feet and the healers watch him like a hawk. He lifts up his shirt to show them his stitches in tact, the black thread visible on his abs. "See. No blood."

I look over at the healers. "Thank you for everything." I grab Raidyn's things with my other hands as we walk out of the infirmary. "Can you make it up the stairs?" I stare at him.

"Yeah. I'm just going to go slow. Tomorrow is when I won't have to worry about this anymore. I'm very familiar to these battle wounds."

I give him a weak smile as I watch his every single move making sure he doesn't fall over and further injure himself. Finally, we make our way to our chambers and I set the baby down. "Welcome home."

"It's nice to be out of that infirmary. It's far too bright there."

I chuckle. "Why don't you lay down and relax for another hour or so." I suggest.

"Byrd, I have matters to attend to-guests are here."

"I told them we meet them at noon. You still have an hour and a half before then." I cross my arms.

"Fine." Raidyn walks over to his table and takes a seat there. "I'm not lying down again."

I sit across from him and prop my elbows up on the table and put my chin in my hands. "I'm glad you're okay." I admit.

"You're concern is flattering, but you're worrying over nothing, little dove. This kingdom needs the attention more than I do."

"You're my husband, my child's father, and my king. You're the most important person in the world to me--aside from Ries. I may be worrying over nothing now, but I saw what you looked like just hours after those arrows struck you. No one knew if you were ever going to wake up."

"They always say that, but I always will. I've had far worse accidents when I didn't care about my life. I care now, and so I will live, because of you and Ries."

I nod my head. "I love you."

"I love you, little dove." He smiles and shakes his head and starts chuckling. "Maybe we should head to the meeting now because it might take me awhile to get there."

"My king, you are ridiculous. Let me go get Raven to watch the baby." I head down the corridor to grab her.

The meeting with Astrid and Finn begins when Raidyn and I sit down.

"How are you feeling, King Raidyn?" Finn asks concerningly.

"I'm fine, Finn. You should remember from our sparring that I bounce back quickly." Raidyn smirks exulting his confidence.

Finn lets out a hearty laugh. "Of course."

"Shall we begin?" I look around and smile. "The attacks are continuously involving us, involving our kingdom. They tried to kill our king. What is our defense?"

"Wait. Where is King Bren?" Raidyn stops me.

"He never showed." I had almost forgotten about him.

"Something is wrong."

"Maybe he was just busy with his own kingdom?" Finn suggests.

"No." Raidyn shakes his head and looks over at Harking. "You need to transport there now."

Harking nods and is gone for nearly five minutes before transporting back.

"They're attacking him, aren't they?" Raidyn asks.