Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Are you sure you have to go today?" I asked; trailing behind my mate as he jogged down the stairs. I found that a little difficult considering I didn't want to trip in the strappy heels I'd paired with my light, cotton, floral-pattern dress. "I'm taking Jackie over to the Delaney territory today."

He sighed as his feet came to rest at the threshold of our front door; turning to me with an apologetic look. He grasped my waist as he pulled me closer, his lips brushing against his mark as he buried his face in my neck; breathing in my scent.

Normally my wolf's thoughts would immediately jump to the idea of mating, but this time, she could feel that all he needed at the moment was support and reassurance. For him just to feel protected and loved. I was more than happy to give him that as my arms wound around his neck. "I would go with you if I could." He mumbled; his words sounding muffled against my skin.

It was my turn to sigh. "I know, I just really wanted you to be there when I introduced her to Dylan."

He nodded; pressing his lips to my temple. "I want to be there too but this can't wait, not even for a day."

I pulled his face down to mine; planting a tender kiss on his lips. He reacted immediately; tightening his hold on my waist as his tongue pushed past my lips. I held onto him until I felt dizzy; my wolf floating on air in response to the kiss, not able to form any coherent thoughts as my mate and I pulled away.

My lips returned to his in another chaste kiss right after. "I know." I admitted; stroking his cheek as my jade eyes met his. I wanted to let him go; but I was paralyzed by his gaze. It was intense and filled with so many emotions that were too fleeting to comprehend. For some reason, the longer I studied his expressions, the more dread filtered into my body.

I wanted to ask what was troubling him but Ethan chose that moment to walk through our door; smacking it right into my shoulder and the side of my head. I could hear Logan growl at his Beta in response. The force of the opening door had me sprawled on the floor; my balance affected by the heels.

One moment I was staring at our ceiling, the next, my vision was filled with Logan. He cradled me to his chest and seemed to be stroking my hair as he asked me if I was alright, my head bobbing up and down in response. His anger-filled gaze though, was aimed at the shifter in the doorway. "What the fuck did you think you were doing?!" He snapped; his booming voice making me wince.

Ethan looked mortified. "I'm sorry, I had no idea she was behind the door." His eyes fell on me. "Luna, are you alright?" Logan pulled me closer and growled; making me wince again as the sound emitted from his chest right by my ear.

"Shut up, Ethan! You don’t get to talk to her! You're even fucking lucky I'm not punching your face in right now!"

My blonde bestie peeped her head in around her brother. "What's going on?" She asked with a tilt of her head.

I pushed myself up into a sitting position despite the protests of my mate. "Nothing, your brother just slammed a door into my face, nothing I can't handle." I said with a shrug.

Jen gave the Beta an incredulous look. "Seriously?!"

"It was an accident. I would never do it on purpose!" He exclaimed in his defence.

"You better not." Logan threatened.

I pressed a hand to my mate's chest; trying to get him to calm down as I turned to the other shifters. "Ethan, what were you coming in here for before you door-assaulted my face?"

He smacked his head. "Right, Logan, we're ready to go. And if we want to arrive by tonight we have to leave this instant."

The focused look returned to my mate's face. It must be important if it makes Logan snap out of his possessive Alpha mate mode, I noted to my wolf. "I'm sorry Chelsea, I really need to go." He grasped the sides of my face as his eyes met mine again. "Is your head going to be okay?"