Chapter 46

Chapter 46

I had no choice as I shifted back into human form, my lips unconsciously turning up in a trembling smirk as I watched the look of shock appear on Jackson's face as he realised he'd stabbed me and not Logan. "Oh, don't look so heartbroken, it’s not that much of a loss." I gasped out; quoting the words he'd once thrown at me, around the agony burning through my chest.

I barely kept the smirk in place as he twisted the blade out of me, my back colliding with the ground as I collapsed in a heap at Jackson’s feet while I clutched my chest, as if my fingers alone could keep the blood from spurting from my wound, my heart struggling to beat with the huge, literal hole Jackson left with his knife.

Chelsea! No! Logan's pained howl vibrated through my mind, my head lolling to the side just in time to watch him fight off the two Seekers on his back, ending their lives with two quick bites to their necks. I heard howls, shortly before the screaming began around me, the other shifters finally arriving, taking on the Seekers as Logan rushed after Jackson.

Don’t let him get away. I told him, the pack doctor coming to my side; spreading a blanket out over my body. I won’t, came his reply, his voice filled with worry. Just promise me that you’ll be alright when I get back. He begged. A wave of pain rippled up my body as the doctor began to examine the gaping wound in my chest, my wolf and I doing our best to keep it from reaching our mate. I promise. I choked out, not completely sure if it was even up to me whether or not I could keep my word; dizziness hitting me full on.

Nonetheless, Logan didn’t need my current state as a distraction at the moment, so I put as much conviction as I could into those two words. The pack doctor is here to patch me up right now, so don’t worry about me, I’m going to be fine. I continued, able to sense that he believed me. Good, at least that makes one of us. I thought to myself.

“Give it to me straight Doc, how’s it looking for me?” I demanded, forcing my eyes to stay open as I met the doctor’s gaze.

“Just worry about staying awake for now Luna.” He said distractedly, his hands working quickly as he did his best to stop the bleeding.

I found the strength to grab his arm. “Please, I need to know.”

The look on his face said it all. “It doesn’t look very good Luna, but I’m doing all that I can.”

I nodded absent-mindedly as I took that in, countless thoughts racing through my mind as my fatigued body relaxed against the floor, letting the doctor work. “I know you are.” The main focus of my thoughts though, was how much Logan would suffer if I were to die and how sorry I was that things had turned out so bad, that it may not be my choice anymore.

It hurt to think that after all we had been through, it would end like this. Logan deserved so much better than this, he deserved happiness after how much he’s changed for me, for us to work. I’ve seen him heal over these past few months and right then, I knew that I loved him, truly and deeply, with all of my soul.

As I lay there beneath the doctor’s moving fingers, feeling the life slowly seep out of me, I finally understood that I loved not just the man he’s become but for all of who he was, for the good and the bad side of him. Sure, he had his share of downsides; people have said he's incapable of love, incapable of remorse, incapable of good.

He truly did have a very dark character. But regardless, he was mine, my very own dark mate and no matter what, I knew he would always be. Even so, in the short time we’d been together, I’ve seen that when he wanted, he was capable of love, capable of remorse, and more than capable of good for me.