Chapter Twenty-One: Marik

When I opened my eyes, it was to the clock glaring the time at me. To my other side, Bakura’s arm was looped around my bare midsection, my black undershirt having been pushed up. His face was pressed between my shoulder blades, somehow having not suffocated in that position.

Shifting would wake him, so I didn’t move, just feeling his touch and trying to remember how we’d gotten back to the flat. After Bakura had pulled away from our kiss, he’d said something, but I hadn’t realised how tired I actually was, with less adrenaline pumping. Had I fallen asleep or had I gotten into the Cadillac after that?

My flatmate stirred, grip tightening around me. “Marik?” he said groggily, hold loosening. I squirmed up to a sitting position, patting his fluffy head.

“Merry Christmas, Florence,” I said.

“Oh. That.” He rolled over, pulling the duvet around himself tightly. “Go away.”

“But it’s Christmas! The day we profess our undying love to each other! Get up!”

“That’s Valentine’s Day, you idiot,” he said, glaring over his shoulder.

“And Christmas! If the Hallmark films are to be believed, that is. Either way you should get up to unwrap presents, at least.”

“Present. There was only one.”

“Have you been peeking?” I rolled out of bed, bending back to pat his shoulder. ”Once you have your coffee, you’ll come to your senses. By the way, ‘Kura, I really, really like you. Promise.”

“Don’t make promises to me.” He ducked under the covers, voice becoming muffled. “You’ll never keep them.”

“Alright, then.” I pulled down my shirt, standing at the door, about to leave.

“Marik?” Bakura’s voice was still muffled when he called out, but his cat ears/demon horn puffs of hair stuck out a little.

“Yea?”

“I like you, too.”