Chapter Ten: Bakura

I had only just finished eating when a timid voice broke through my early-morning haze. “It’s a school day,” the voice pointed out astutely.

“So?” I glanced over my shoulder at my host’s diaphanous body.

“So I need to go to school, which means I need my body—just till school’s over. Then you can have it back.”

I dropped my bowl into the sink, listening to the shower water start. “We’re not going to your damn school.”

“But—” Ryou started forward, eyes catching mine harshly.

“I said no.” I turned, fully facing him. “You heard that, didn’t you?”

The boy backed off quickly, though his chin jabbed a little higher into the air, expression pinching into borderline defiance. “I heard you,” he said, voice quiet, yet tense.

“Good.” I shook my head, moving toward my bedroom. I could deal with the host later, when it wasn’t so early. As I walked, Ryou followed me, trailing at a respectful distance.

Finally, his voice rose out, asking a question I’d been shutting out—“Why are we here?”

“That’s none of your business.” I shut the bedroom door, leaving the host on the other side. Only a moment later, he came through the wood, having no flesh to be held back.

“And why is Marik Ishtar here—”

“Shut up!” I gripped the Millennium Ring, beginning to force his pesky soul back down. “At any time I wish, I can dispose of your soul and erase every trace of it from this body, remember? I told you it was none of your business, so if you like your soul, I’d suggest pissing off, host.”

Bakura Ryou was fading back into the Ring quickly, but not so quickly that he wasn’t able to stare straight at me, face blank, saying, “But you need me, at least as a disguise. You can’t kill me.”

Then, at last, he was gone, leaving me grasping the Ring, knuckles dyed white from strain. Once I defeated the Pharaoh, I would be able to leave this vessel behind, passing into the glory of a king’s afterlife.

Strings of a song’s lyrics, mangled beyond recognition blended with the running shower water. It was a voice that direly needed to be put out of it’s misery.

When, or if, I really passed into the afterlife, I would be leaving more than this body behind—and I wasn’t sure if I was ready for that.