Prologue

Prologue

__________________________

"Okay, class." Drones the new Math teacher, Ms. Burke. "I understand some of you have the WEIRDEST names! So, ya." Ms. Burke shouts in a falsetto voice while trying to look 'cool'.

"So, like, role call! LOL!" I roll my eyes. LOL? Seriously? Geez.

"Carter Blaze." Yells Ms. Burke.

"Here."

"You new Carter?" Says Ms. B in that way of hers.

"Yes ma'am." Says Carter, a skinny kid with curly hair a pointy ears who always is jamming a tune to the beat of some Jazz song in his iPhone.

"Ok, Next?"

I let myself get distracted. Maybe by the frost forming on the windows? Yes. The beauty of it is what I like.

"Katie. Katie!" It calls out to me.

"KATIE!" I am speaking to you!" Screams Ms. B.

I look around the room my eyes landing on several kids snickering or laughing. All except Carter.

"Uh, here." I blurt out quickly.

"Hon, if ya don't gimme a fab excuse for not listening you are sew dead, y'all." Drawls Ms. B in that annoying tone of hers.

"It was me Ms. B."

Carter?

"I was distracting her. Forgive me ma'am." Carter calmly states.

"Is that so? Well then. DETENTION FOR BOTH YOUR SORRY BUTTS.!" Ms. B flares. "YA HERE ME, FREEZE AND BLARE?!"

My fists clench. How dare she-

"Frost and Blaze ma'am. Katie Frost and Carter Blaze." Carter says looking straight in her eyes meeting her gaze.

And surprisingly she is the first to look away.

"Whatever."

I'm grinning in my head but...why did he do that?

The bell then rings signaling lunch. I look around from Carter.

All I see is a trousered butt making its way out the door fedora in one hand a earbuds in the others.

__________________________Short Chapter! (Late night). Thanks for reading! Koodos for you! -BOTR