A Brand New Day

Three weeks passed without a sign of Jersey anywhere. Jack was both anxious and relieved by his former teacher's disappearance. He'd received a special surprise in the mail from the man, a deed to his property. Jersey had given him his fake house and the beautiful mansion beneath.

Jack sat at Jersey's desk in his study, and Silver perched on the edge. It was almost like they were replaying a scene from Jersey's past with Pagan. It was somehow comforting to Jack. He leaned back in Jersey's chair, allowing his gaze to drift around the room. It didn't look like Jersey had taken anything with him.

"What are you going to do with this place?" Silver asked.

Jack sighed. He'd given it a great deal of thought since finding out he owned it. With a shrug he said, "I have no idea. Maybe we should use it as a sort of headquarters for hunters."

"Great. The werewolves and vampires won't be able to find out what we're up to if we have a secret hideout. I love it."

"It's way better than the secret room my parents had."

"What's that?" Silver walked to the fireplace. She pulled out an envelope from behind a book, one edge sticking out. "It has your name on it."

Silver handed it to him. Jersey's fluid handwriting traveled across the middle of the envelope. Jack's breath caught in his throat. He opened the envelope with trembling fingers and pulled a folded piece of paper out, hoping it wasn't bad news. He was disappointed to find nothing written on it. Why would Jersey give him a plain piece of paper?

Jack lifted it for Silver's inspection. "Maybe he was in a hurry."

"I have an idea." Silver came around the desk. She smiled at him before placing her hand on top of his. The familiar electric current shot through him, announcing the beginning of a new journey.

Jack glanced around with a frown. They hadn't gone anywhere. They were still in the study. For a moment he thought it hadn't worked, but then his eyes traveled the room. Jersey Clifford stood on the opposite side of the desk, a smug smile on his face. Silver gasped, spotting him at the same time. Jack squeezed her hand, reassuring her without words.

"Welcome," Jersey said. "I wanted a chance to say goodbye to you, Jack, but I didn't want to tempt the fates. One of us might have felt compelled to kill the other before the appointed time."

Jersey moved to the center of the room. He spread his hands and slowly turned. "Well, what do you think of your new home? I hope you enjoy it. The thought of it sitting empty, no one to appreciate it, sank my heart. Of course, by now you have realized I am gone for good." He scowled. "I will hold building my army off for as long as I can because I do not wish to destroy you, but someday...someday I will have no choice. We will battle to the death. Yours, I'm afraid."

Jersey went to the shelf and pulled a hardcover book from the stack. "In my fit of anger I trashed several of my favorites, but this one I saved. I would like for you to read it. Someday I hope to discuss it with you in depth. I'd like to hear your take on it. My fondest wish is for us to have a conversation like the ones I so enjoyed having with you before."

Jack looked to the shelf. He saw the book Jersey wanted him to read. The vision of Jersey and the book filled the empty place in his heart. He'd had a void since Jersey and Cowboy had blown town. With neither of them around, life seemed to lose some of its spice.

Jersey lifted his hand in a slight wave. "I feel kind of stupid talking to myself, but I know you'll see this. I am sorry beyond belief our time was cut short. We've lost countless opportunities to share our views. Goodbye for now, my friend, my enemy. I will greatly miss you. Perhaps even more than I miss Pagan in some ways. Allow me to leave you with one last quote.