Two Werewolves are More Dangerous than One

The thrill of being back in school had worn off. Jack emptied the coffee pot into his mug. He'd brewed it last night after his fight with Billy. Exhausted, he rubbed his eyes while sitting alone at the kitchen table. Maybe he should skip school today and try to work things out with his brother. Billy had locked himself in his room. That's why Jack hadn't slept. He was afraid to let down his guard in case Billy decided to grab a stake or a rifle.

After a long, silent debate he decided to go to school. Facing Silver on two hours of sleep was better than staying at home, possibly blacking out, and getting killed by his brother. With a tired sigh Jack rose from the table. He dragged himself up the stairs and knocked on his brother's locked door. "I'm taking your car. I need to go to school."

No response.

Jack spoke louder. "Is it okay if I take your car?"

He pressed his ear to the door, listening for movement. Minutes passed. He waited, impatiently tapping his foot. Was Billy asleep? The thought of his brother getting rest when he couldn't sparked his anger. He kicked the door. "Billy!"

"I don't care what you do." Billy's muffled words floated through the solid wood.

The sound of Billy's voice startled Jack. His brother was standing on the other side of the door, face pressed against the wood just like him. Once again Jack asked if Billy would come out to talk. Billy refused. His brother told him to go to school, a harsh command. Under other circumstances Jack might have argued with Billy, told his brother he didn't have the right to order him around, but there wasn't anything more to say. So he left.

He drove on automatic. Nothing registered. His eyes drifted closed a few times, but he jerked awake before losing control of the car. Part of him fantasized about driving into a tree and killing himself. A vision of what his funeral might be like danced through his mind. He wondered if Billy would care. Would his brother mourn him? Would he feel bad for pushing Jack out the door, or would he dance on Jack's grave?

Jack made it to school alive. He slid his brother's four-door between a truck and a compact. Groups of students stood around talking and laughing, not a clue about the upcoming war. He envied them for their ignorance. A few of them had cigarettes dangling from their fingers. The smell of tobacco reminded him of his friends, but he refused to dwell on those memories. Last night, about three in the morning, he'd had an epiphany. From now on he was living in the present. Leave the past in the past.

He didn't recognize any faces in the parking lot, and he didn't feel like making new friends. Some of the students stared at him as he walked by. As the new kid, he was still a phenomenon. He should have worn sunglasses. At least they wouldn't be able to see the dark circles beneath his eyes.

When he got inside the building, he went straight to his locker. Too bad he couldn't remember the combination. His tired brain refused to function. Jack spun the lock around a few times before trying a series of numbers that felt right to him. Wrong. He tried again, different digits this time. It didn't work. He had to have his books. If he couldn't figure it out on his own, he would have to go to the office, and starting his day in a possible conversation with Principal Hardwick didn't sound like a good idea to him.

He groaned and rested his forehead against the locker with a loud thump.

"Problem?" Meghan appeared at his side, smug smile. "Allow me."

She rotated the lock a couple times before dialing it to a series of numbers. She pulled on the metal door and it opened. Relieved, Jack grabbed the books he needed, Math and Biology. He also removed a notebook and a pencil.