Funeral. - Chapter 1

Chapter 1-Funeral

Hi, my names Maximillian George. I was sentenced to life imprisonment on the 17th of November 2011. Today is the 18th of November 2011, and I'm already loosing my mind.

Rebecca watched on as floods on people waded in. Smiling at the amazing turn out for Ava. She knew always knew her best friend was popular, her Italian blood showed in her olive skin and chesnut hair. No wonder she was already with a new boy. Rebecca found it hard to keep up with her, Dylan, Lucus, Aaron, Finn. They were always bright eyed, curly haired sweethearts. Passionate but shy. Witty but intelligent. So when she brought back Max last year, everyone was shocked. He wasn't like the other boys. He was a shaven lad. But underneath his shell Rebecca knew there was something wrong, she should have told Ava. Anything to save her from him.

His name pulsated round her head, punching and kicking inside her, trying to break free. She needed to get her anger out. Her eyes flashed around, setting them upon her target. "It's not worth it." A gentle voice whispered in her ear. The sound of Nathans voice warmed her up instantly. He always knew what to say to make anyone better. "Taking your anger out on them isn't going to solve anything. What happened happened, and as much as everyone here wish it didn't, it did." Nathan placed a protective arm over her shaking shoulders. It wasn't till later that Rebecca realised how much she loved Nathan. But she never said a word. Watching him fall in love with someone else.

The sea of black stood up. Sisters, Aunties, Grandparents, friends, colleagues, Uncles, Friends of friends all here to celebrate Ava's short life. 

6 boys had asked to carry in the coffin; Nathan, Jay, Siva, Oliver, Charlie and Ed. They were all close to her. More like brothers than friends. They slowly walked in, holding aloft the coffin. Music chimed in the background, some smiled as they realised it was Ava's favourite song. 

All eyes turned immediately to Rebecca as she walked up to the pulpit. Slowly, as she thought about everything she was going to say. She reached the pulpit and stepped up, looking around to the mourners who were here. More than one person noticed she looked scared and afraid, and wish they could help her with the speech. But they knew she wanted to do it alone. One last act for her late best friend. Rebecca touched her large nose. Remembering all the times Ava would stick up for her when the bullies would corner Becca and taught her about the nose. It gave her hope, that someone in the world was there to look after her.

Siva hated funerals. It was a time when you had to say goodbye, but all you feel is guilt. What you should have done. If you were somewhere at a certain time, things would have been different. Ava always told him to live with no regrets. He needed to do that. To show her proud.

When all was quiet Rebecca began. "I had known Ava for a long time. She was there right from a young age- whenever I needed someone to talk to I knew she would be there. Whether I was 6pm or 4am, she'd be there. Always. I may have not all ways returned this favour but she still loved me. You could trust her. Everyone could. I remember sneaking down to the treehouse with her and telling each other all our secrets. Mine were often silly and lame, but I was always interested in hearing hers. Who she had kissed in the sunset. Who had told her she was the most beautiful girl. And it's right, she was. I was always envious of her long chestnut hair, and her slim legs." Rebecca stopped. Her heart beating in her chest. She looked over at the White coffin. A single tear sliding down her cheek as she imagined her friend lying beneath. 

Feeling a gaze pouring into her cheek, she turned and noticed Jay, sitting on the front pew, mouthing something to her. Take it slow and breathe. He gestured a slow inhale and exhale. And she repeated it, feeling slightly calmer inside.

Glancing down at the paper she began where she left off. "Ava was my saviour. Whenever I was feeling down, she would tell me a quote that would clear the haze out of my eyes, and see the world in a new light. 'And it burns but it turns out golden.' that's my favourite. So much so that I've inked myself with it." Rebecca held up her hand, showing the lyric on the side of her hand. A few smiled, nodding their head in agreement. She took another deep breath again. "I'd like to say a big thank you to Ava, she will always say in my heart. And will so, 'till I meet her again. Thank you." the last words echoed around.

She took her sit next to Jay, quietly whispering "Thank you." before the service continued.

As the pallbearers picked up the coffin again, Siva remembered thought about Max. He and the rest of the crowd followed them down through the cemetery gates. He knew everyone was thinking of Max but dare not to say the forbidden word. It was like in Harry Potter, he who must not be named. And whenever you murmured the name he knew exactly where you were. "Max." Siva muttered.

A scream echoed around Maxs cell. Followed but shouting and thumps. He realised that it belonged to himself. He produced this noise. He knew somewhere, someone was talking about him. What little shit dared to say his name?!

The coffin was placed down, while everyone listened to the priests last words. The smell of turned over soil was strong, but yet kept things fresh. Jays hand tightened around Beccas. "Be strong."

Flower after flowered poured into the ground, on top of the coffin. All red roses, Avas favourite. Rebecca was the last to say goodbye. "Sleep tight beautiful." she whispered, throwing ina single White Rose. "Sleep tight."