Chapter Nine -- Max

I woke up the next morning to dull light coming from the filthy window. Realizing that there was something on my chest and hair tickling my cheek, I look down at Jay, who's head is resting against me. 

The events from the previous night hit me like a slap to the face. I can't believe how stupid I was, thinking that I could just kiss her. She probably has so much on her mind already, and am I helping? No. Instead of asking her how I can help, I just pile on. 

Aren't I a great friend. I huff in laughter, and I hear a light sigh come from Jay. She isn't awake yet. 

I'm an idiot, just like all those times Sam told me. I shake my head, trying to rid myself of the thoughts, but the movement just stirs Jay.

She rolls lifts her head, blinking her bright eyes as she looks around. Her gaze rests on me and she smiles shyly, a light dust of red spreading across her cheeks. 

"Morning," I say, carefully pulling myself into a sitting position. 

"Morning," Jay replies with a yawn, sitting up beside me, resting her head on my should sleepily.

I don't reply. 

"Max," she says, all the sleep gone from her voice. "We need to talk about what happened last night." Her voice trails off at the end. 

"I'm sorry. I got ahead of myself and I don't know what happened and -" I stop talk at the look Jay gives as she sits up.

"Don't you ever apologize to me again," she says, her tone hard. "I don't need it and neither do you."

"But," I say. But Jay just sweeps on. 

"I don't know what happened either Max, but I'm not sorry it happened. I'd rather know now then later that you care because that means I can trust you. But that also means you have to learn to fight and all that stuff."

"Jay," I say. She stops talking and looks at me. "I really do care for you, and I know its silly 'cause we just met, but it's true. I don't know if I'll be able to learn all this stuff in time, though."

"You need too," she say, harsher then I expected. "I don't want you to die." 

"I'd rather die then see you get killed."

"Neither of us are going to die!" Jay is almost yelling. I can tell she is on the verge of tears. "I will not allow you to die. And to prevent you from doing just that, you will learn to defend yourself. I will not let you die." Her voice cracks.

Idiot, I tell myself. She's already lost her family, and doesn't have any friends. And here I am telling her I'd like to die. How can I do this to the girl that I care for?

I open my arms up and Jay falls against me, tears pooling in her eyes. 

She re-positions herself so that she sits next to me, but still has her head rested against me. 

"Please don't die," Jay whispers.

"I won't, I promise," I whisper back. 

We sit in silence until a knock sounds at the door.