Chapter Seven -- Max

It was mid day. Jay hadn't let us stop walking since we reached the forest this morning. I was tired and thirsty, but I knew that complaining would just get me yelled at.

I looked around at the towering trees. Trees that had stood for years, had seen what the world was like in the past, had survived harsh winters and dry summers. Most were ever green trees, and looked the same dark green as always. But the trees that weren't, were just starting to bud. Spring was on it's way.

"Let's stop here," Jay says, looking up at the sky. She had taken her bow from her back and had it in hand. 

I sit down on a fallen log and sigh with relief. My bruised body hurts from the constant walking. Jay glares over at me then walks down a small incline. 

"Wait," I call, getting up and following her. I groan in pain as my nose starts to throb. Once at the bottom, I sit down. 

"Here," Jay says, tossing me a small tub. 

I open it up and inside is the ointment that she put on the bruises earlier. "Thanks."

Jay just shakes her head and walks a little ways away and bends down. Only then do I hear the small trickling sound of water. I start to dab the ointment onto my arm, the bruises now fully visible, all purple and green, in the shape of where my brother squeezed my arm. 

While Jay has her back turned, I lift up my shirt, pulling up over my head and smear more oinment onto the still forming bruise along my rib cage. I wince at my touch. Sam had kneed me pretty hard. Jay was walking toward me, a piece of cloth dripping wet. She looked at forming bruise and winced a little. 

"Here," she says, walking over while ringing out the cloth. "Your nose is bleeding again."

I nod and take the cloth in my free hand, pushing against my nose. I can feel the warm trickle of blood coming and absorbing into the cloth. Jay is still watching me, her eye brows creased with worry as she looks at the bruise. 

"We should have stayed another day," she says, walking so that she stands in front of me. 

"No," I say back. "We couldn't have stayed any longer, with all that's going on."

Jay pushes her lips into a tight line before moving to little touch my side. Her fingers are cold as they slowly glide over the mass of green and purple. I shiver as she moves closer, bending over so that she can inspect the wound better. 

"We'll reach the town by tonight," she says, her eyes still on my side. "Give me that ointment."

I hand over the tub that occupies my other hand. Jay takes some on her fingers, and just as she did earlier, smears it all over. I sigh will relief as the medicine sinks into my skin, relieving some of the pain. She stands up slowly, screwing on the lid. Jay then slips the tub into her jacket pocket. 

I smile as I look at the jacket that was shoved at her before our departure. It's one my old ones, from a couple of years before. I had long since out grown it, but Aunt Mally had insisted on keeping it. The jacket was too big for her small frame, and ended just before her knees. 

"What?" Jay asks, looking at me, a smile forming on her lips. 

"Nothing," I say, shaking my head dismissively. 

"Tell me," Jay says, pushing my bare shoulder lightly. 

I laugh. "You look funny in that jacket."

"Really?" She asks teasingly. 

"Yes," I reply, trying not laugh. 

"Well you look funny in general," she retorts, her smile broadening. 

I laugh aloud, surprising Jay. She jumps a little at the sound, before laughing too. Her laugh rings clearly in the small area. I stop laughing and watch her. Jay's has her head tossed back, laughing at the sky, her arms out stretched beside her. She stops laughing and just stands there, facing up, eyes closed. Jay's skin seems to glow in the little sunlight that comes from the sky. Her thrashed jeans splashed with mud from the knee down. 

I fight the urge to walk over to her and stand there, my arms wrapped around her, looking up at the sun, feeling it's warm rays on my face. But I still remember the way she acted when I did that this morning, still raw like a slap across the face. 

Jay opens her eyes and walks toward me. "Put your shirt on," she says, walking past me. 

"Fine, mother," I mutter, picking up my shirt from the ground at my feet. I slip it over my head and walk after her.

"I heard that," she sings over her shoulder. 

"I know," I sing back. She gives a short laugh. 

I feel a happiness growing in my chest every time I make her laugh.