21. The Maldives. Part 1

'So, the sun cream, sunglasses and sick tablets are all packed right?' I said for the tenth time. I was super excited so much so, that I was ready to physically jump up and down. Nonetheless I was worried in case I had left something behind. I had that feeling that I was leaving something behind but I just couldn't put my finger to it.

Zaid groaned. 'Zara. Everything is packed. Calm down and relax,' and so I did. Well tried to. I was acting as if I had never been on holiday before, when I had been many times, in fact, at the beginning of this very year to New York. But this time it was different. It was my husband and I, going away for the very first time together. I had wanted to go on a honeymoon but work had stopped Zaid and so being the new and shy bride that I had been, I hadn't asked. I didn't want to be deemed as a demanding and overbearing person a few days or months into the marriage.

Since everything was a secret, Zaid hadn't given me a single detail about the trip. Not even where we were staying, but I knew that no matter where it was, it would be amazing; clear blue skies, white sand, palm trees and the aqua blue Indian Ocean, what more could define the perfect holiday? I planned to laze about and go swimming everyday and hence I had bought a burkini, a swimming costume, which was very modest and covered the whole body. However, Kylie, my ever so thoughtful friend, had other ideas and had gifted me a very racy red swimming costume. Would I wear it? I don't know.

Zaid had gone all out because we were seated in first class which was spacious and extremely expensive, for me anyway since Zaid never travelled below the first class. His family owned many properties across England. Often I had wondered why he hadn't simply worked with his father. However he always managed to get out of answering it. I would have the answer one day. I watched Zaid tapping away furiously on his tablet and put one of my books into use. He had his worried face on, and I didn't want to bother him. Dreaming of myself floating in the beautiful ocean, I fell into a wonderful slumber.

'We're almost here.' Zaid whispered nudging me. I had slept for most of the journey. I got up and stretched. I had avoided being plane sick which was a huge relief. Before talking I quickly put a mint into my mouth. I couldn't stand bad breath so I doubt other people could.

'Good.'

As soon as we got off the plane, the hot air hit me. I felt woozy, So Zaid whipped out a water bottle from somewhere. After a few sips, I felt better.

"So are you going to tell me now? What will we be doing?' After a few more unanswered questions Zaid turned abruptly.

'It's a surprise. Don't bother asking anymore. I am telling you nothing. Absolutely nothing.' At that firm tone, I closed my mouth. There was no point arguing with the stubborn man. He was adamant to give nothing away. Hence I would simply go with the flow.

'I just want you to see everything.'

After a few moments of gasping at the picturesque scenery and Zaid's expressionless face I needed to ask him a question.

'So are you excited?'

'Of course.'

'You don't seem it.'

'Zara. Believe me I am. Just a few worries at work.' He seemed so distracted and wondered off in the direction of the luggage area. This was a holiday and his sour mood was affecting mine. Nowadays, his worry had become mine and vice versa. There was more than the feeling of physical oneness, I felt we were becoming one emotionally and mentally.

As Zaid returned, overloaded with numerous bags, he looked almost like a human trolley and his face had turned red. I felt bad for packing so much. There was one bag across his broad chest, another on his shoulder as he pulled another two large as well as holding a weekend bag. I managed to take the weekend bag off him and he refused anymore. He was such a gentleman. After freshening up and praying the Asr (late afternoon prayers), we set off again.