C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

-

-

"He's gathered the elites. He's already let them know."

"And you've compromised with them? Have they accepted?"

"Some have, yes. The others, I am not quite sure."

"Keep an eye on them, and give this to her. Make sure she receives it."

-

                    The King Xerxes is known to be many things; cruel, just, monstrous, equitable, a savage, but most of all, he is called to be the model of a true beast.

And oh how had she not taken those words to heed, Adelaide wondered to herself, quivering from nervousness.

Once she had heard him call out to her when she was just outside the garden, she had ran as fast as her legs could carry her to the west wing, leaving a stunned Norward behind, who didn't let himself be bothered to chase after his mistress, knowing that this was a situation that she had to handle herself. But it didn't cease the crease of worry on his forehead for what the king might do to her for her punishment.

She smooths out her skirt almost unconsciously, to distract herself from her beast's calloused look. She flinched when he gripped the back of her neck, not enough to bruise but enough to make his point clear.

He was not happy.

"You've disobeyed my orders." He stated, almost casually, as his already black eyes roamed around her face, waiting for her reaction.

Not having the courage to speak, the gift only closed her eyes and anxiously prepared herself. He released his hold on her but had pushed her to lie on the large mattress. She bounced from the force of it, laying on her stomach and her hands buried on the furred bedding as her thin lace dress was ripped from her body.

Xerxes' glare didn't mellow on her, furious that her childlike curiosity won over his command on his queen. He had walked away from the meeting once it was officially over, having given the elites enough information to know what was at risk, and finally, the subtle notion of his Dela's return. He'd felt relief wash over him when reached their chamber, dismissing the guards, and when he had pushed the curtains away from the poster bed and found her missing, his beast had gone livid. And to know that she had sneaked out and went behind his back didn't extinguish the already blazing fire that his little love have ignited.