26 | Tears

The Blacktop sounds crowded, even from three steps outside where Vera and I are standing. Sounds of cutlery and chatter reach all the way to my ears, loud and lively. Through the glass panels of the door and windows, I can see dozens of students and flustered waiters bustling about.

"Car, come on," Vera tugs my hand again, and I realize I'm still resisting her.

With a hasty apology, I walk forward resolutely, counting the steps to the door. When Vera pushes it open, a wave of warmth welcomes us, followed by the smell of coffee and potatoes. The noise is much louder now, almost deafening against the whispery howl of the wind outside.

"Damn," Vera mutters, scanning the crowds. "Looks like everybody's here tonight."

But I'm not looking at the tables or the strangers sitting around them because as soon as I raise my eyes, they land on Liam. Despite the number of people standing in between us, I know it's him leaning against the billing counter with his back to me. The messy hair, black jeans and the set of his shoulders underneath his jacket are all too familiar.

Almost as if he can tell he's being watched, he turns and looks around until his gaze finds mine. His eyebrows shoot up, eyes widening as he takes in my face. I start to blush when Liam recovers from his surprise and mouths 'wow' at me. He straightens to his full height, weaving his way to us through the crowd.

"There's Liam," I nudge Vera's shoulder before arranging my features so they don't give away my simmering feelings.

"Oh, hey!" Vera turns to him just as he approaches. She throws her arm around his neck, and Liam bends to kiss her cheek quickly before she can do anything else.

"Hey," he says, smiling at us pleasantly. "Both of you look great."

"You're not so bad yourself," Vera teases. She shoots a knowing smile in my direction before asking, "Where's Felix?"

"I don't know," I say, pulling my phone out of my still-new-from-lack-of-use purse. "He said he's here already. I'll call him."

But my call goes unanswered. I scan my texts to see if there's anything from him, but I didn't receive anything after the 'ok cool' that Felix had sent when I told him that Vera and Liam will be joining us.

"You guys stay here," I say to Vera and Liam. "I'll go look for him."

I weave through the bustling crowd, craning my neck in search of Felix. Finally, I spot him standing by one of the tables. All six chairs are occupied by a group of boys and girls, their heads tipped back in laughter at something Felix has just said. I start inching my way to the table, feeling awkward about interrupting the animated conversation.

I stop when I'm standing right by Felix's side. He turns when I tap him on the shoulder, smiling apologetically at his friends.

"Hey!" he says, immediately reaching out to put his arm around my waist and draw me closer. He gestures to me and grins at his friends who continue to watch us curiously, "Guys, this is Carmen, my girlfriend."

There's an edge to his tone, a strange emphasis on those last two words. Part pride and part possessiveness, it almost sounds like a veiled warning rather than an introduction.

"Hi. Sorry to interrupt," I say to the six mildly amused faces. I only recognize two of them as my classmates.

His friends start talking all at once, their voices overlapping so all I hear is one big chorus of names and friendly greetings. I just smile and nod with Felix standing beside me, grinning from ear to ear.

"It's nice to meet you all," I say to the group when the excited voices die down.

Felix and I quickly excuse ourselves and turn away. The chatter starts up at the table again, but it is hushed and secretive this time.