24 | Apology

Love is found where there is light.

I trace my index finger along the words painted in gold on the wooden base of the snowglobe. My phone is in my other hand, its screen warm against my ear. All I can hear on the other end of the line is the faint sound of my dad typing away at his computer. I can picture him sitting in his office desk chair with his back ramrod straight, squinting at the computer screen through his thick-rimmed glasses.

Moments later, there's some rustling as Mom picks up her phone and says breathlessly, "Sorry, honey, it was the delivery man."

"It's okay." I smile, putting the snowglobe next to the open textbook on my desk.

"So, I just wanted to remind you," she continues, and I can hear her moving to sit at one of the wooden kitchen counter stools. "Your tickets have been booked. I've sent you the email."

"Thanks," I say, smiling again at the thought of going back home with Vera. All I have to do is get through the upcoming exams. I purse my lips in nervousness. "Ugh, I hate exams."

My mother chuckles in response. "Just promise you'll remember one thing, honey."

"What is it?"

"Drink lots of water, don't forget to eat at the right time, have some fruit, and get plenty of sleep."

"Ma," I roll my eyes. "That's four things."

"Oh, and don't drink too much coffee!" she adds hastily, and I laugh, relaxing in my chair.

"So, how's —"

A small beep interrupts me. I pull the phone away from my ear to look at it. The screen indicates another incoming call. Felix. The moment my eyes catch his name, the strangest mix of fear and vexation courses through me, my smile melting at the edges. I press the phone to my ear again.

"Hey, Mom? I'm getting another call from . . ." I falter at the idea of revealing Felix as my boyfriend to Mom. It just doesn't seem . . . necessary at this point. Clearing my throat, I say, " . . . my friend. I'll talk to you later, okay? Love you!"

"Okay, honey! Love you, too!" Mom replies before hanging up.

Inhaling deeply through my nose, I connect to Felix's call. Two seconds of silence are followed by his voice, invading my ear as he says, "Hello?"

"Hey, Felix," I say, scraping my desk chair back to stand. With my phone wedged between my ear and shoulder, I put my pens and highlighters back into their pastel blue holder.

"Hi," he says. Even in that one syllable, I can hear a little bit of hesitation. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks," I reply, but my voice sounds terribly curt. I turn away from my desk and try to sound friendlier, "And you? How's your exam prep going?"

"It's going nowhere," he laughs dryly. "But hey, I want to talk to you. Can we meet?"

"Sure. I'll see you at class tomorrow, okay?"

"Actually, I was hoping we could meet now."

"Now?" I ask dubiously. "I'm studying."

As though to make a point, I turn around and noisily flip a page of my Human Resources textbook. But Felix isn't convinced.

"Please?" he insists, and I sigh resignedly. "I can come to your dorm . . ."

"Uh." I glance around myself at the unmade beds and the small heaps of Vera's clothes scattered on the floor. "How about the library?"

"Okay," Felix says, his voice sounding lighter now that I've conceded to what he wants. "I'll be there in ten."

"Okay, bye!"