Chapter One: Alia Fletson

Chapter One:

Alia's POV

Long live the walls we crashed through

How the kingdom lights shined

Just for me and you

I was screaming long live all the magic we made

And bring on all the pretenders

One day, we will be remembered

Taylor Swift, "Long Live"

The Victory Tour.

I couldn't believe that in two days I would be touring around every District of Panem, looking down upon those people who had witnessed my every move in the arena.

I was no longer just Alia, the Mayor's future Career daughter. Now, I was Alia Rose Fletson, the District Two victor and part of the 'Gruesome Twosome'. All of those years of hardcore training had paid off. I had accomplished my life's goal: to win the seventy-fourth annual Hunger Games.

I paced around the streets of my neighborhood in District Two. It was a perfect sunny day. The temperature was warm, the slight breeze cool, dewdrops on the leaves from last night's rain.

My chocolate brown hair lay wavy down my back, shining in the sunlight with every step I took.

When I came across the neighborhood lake, I smoothed the back of my white lace sundress and sat down on the soft, green grass, gazing out at the breathtaking view.

District Two was even more beautiful than I remembered.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I titled my head back to see Cato standing above me.

He sat down next to me, a smile across his face. It had taken a while, but he had finally healed from all the wounds that he had gained in the arena. I still remembered it like it was yesterday... the large amounts of blood, cuts, bruises, scrapes, and dirt that covered his face. Although he looked rather brutal pretty quickly in the Games, the most horrific thing to happen was the loss of his left hand. When the mutations were ripping him apart, they tore off his hand, which was not covered in the mesh-net armor we received in our pack. But the doctors of the Capitol somehow managed to stitch his hand back on. They did such a great job that if you hadn't watched it happen, you would've never known he lost his hand in the first place.

He pulled me in closer for a long, passionate kiss, running his fingers through my long brown hair.

I looked up into his blue-green eyes and sighed. "Well, I better start getting ready for the big 'congratulations' party tonight."

Cato kissed the side of my cheek gently and pulled me up off the ground.

"I guess I'll see you later, then," he says, a slight smile coming to his face.

"See you later, then," I repeat and head off into Fletson Mansion.

As soon as I step foot in the front door, I am caught in a hug by my mother.

"Alia, sweetie, I missed you so much!" she exclaims.

This is the first time I've actually seen my mother since I left for the seventy-fourth annual Hunger Games.

She looks as exquisite as ever with her fiery red hair, fair skin, and famous District Two emerald green eyes. She has the same statuesque figure as I do, but standing about three inches shorter. However, Arianna Rain Fletson is just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the inside. She is extremely loving, supportive and is the best mother I could've ever asked for.