Chapter 32/Who wants a stake in steak?

A/N Are you desperate to get to this chapter - we were.  Billionaire's possession got to #20 in Science Fiction and the Top 20 is full of some wonderful books ( no not just Cyborg's Pet,  really ). It's wonderful that people are voting with their eyes - did we mention we would like to hug everyone of you? Hugs also to the scientist Carol who interviewed RK for her Ph.D. in computing. RK said that what made Wattpad difference to traditional book publishing was the more direct linkage to the readers (i.e you), sometimes you have to be reminded about this to realize how totally cool  this kind of writing is. If your reading this Carol then thanks for the chat it was nice to be reminded of all the fab people on Wattpad. 

Warning the end of this chapter is unsuitable for Vegetarians - you have been warned. 

I was kissing Sam in the street in Paris. He was pushing me back against the wall. I could feel the roughness of the brick against my arching back. His smooth face rubbed against me. I could smell him and thought of wild mushrooms for some reason. People hardly paid us any attention. I felt Sam put his foreheard to mine. I regretted doing this. I looked behind me and noticed a couple in the distance standing looking at us. They were far away and the light was bad apart from a man and woman I couldn't say much more about the. I pushed Sam off me.

"I knew we had a connection," said Sam.

"No, we are being followed," I said. "Look swap places."

We carried on kissing and swapped places. I was being matter of fact about kissing Sam but I couldn't help but feel I was betraying Alexander. I wasn't sure about what Sam had said that Alexander had been betraying me but I couldn't be sure.  

"Alexander must have sent them to watch us" guessed Sam.

He grabbed me by the hand and we began to walk, then run through the streets. I wasn't sure but we turned a corner and then I slipped into a quite cafe.

****

The Cafe was quite

 I pulled out Alexander's card from my purse.

"If only I could ask you if you accepted this card in this country," I said to the waiter.

"Nous aimerions un café, s'il vous plaît. Acceptez-vous cette carte?" said Sam.

"Oui," said the waiter pointing to a table. He had a white shirt with a black waistcoat over it and had an apron covering his legs. The cafe was dark with an old rosewood bar with a large number of small round tables.

"I'm impressed," I said. My plan had been try to talk to the waiter long enough to be rejected and by that point the people following us would had rushed by. Sam's knowledge of French changed this.

"So are we," said a voice behind me.

I turned round to find Marta and Harvey standing there a little out of breath.

"Marta!" I said. "It was you following us!"

"What did you think?" Said Marta.

"It's complicated," I said. While I spoke Sam following the waiter to a table surrounded by some survey wooden chairs. Marta looked over to me and then at Sam.

"That's not the only thing that's complicated," she said eyes slightly narrowing as Sam

"It's not that complicated, " I said. "I was using him as cover to look behind us."

Sam ordered more coffee for everyone.

"If I know anything about boys it's that nothing is simple and everything is complicated." said Marta. I looked at Sam, he was smiling and moving closer to me. Not by best piece of improvisation. I felt bad, did he think I was leading him on? I was unsure about Alexander, Sam's story about Alexander being seemed to fit the facts.

"Well your dry so I guess you got the ship back," said Sam. The waiter came back with a large try and put coffee cups on the table.

Marta looked a little sheepish "Yeah - I found the off switch".

"That looks good," said Harvey looking at some people near by eating stake.

"Well, this off switch weighed a few pounds had a long metal handle and a sharp metal head and the word 'Fire Axe' written on it.

"Those kind of off switches," I said. "They work everywhere."

" But it stopped the ship and we drove it back. I found Harvey and we went off in the direction you went. We spotted you in the distance and walked to catch you up", Marta said "Harvey said you found the key?"

"Yeah, another clue. What is it about these people trying to filter out the stupid?" I said.

Harvey looked at us "I've had an idea" said Harvey looking at us proudly "this could be the greatest idea in Mankind, but promise don't tell any one. "

We all looked expectantly at him.

"How about steak by post." He said. "It's like internet steaks. You feel hungry, you log on and in four to five working days you could have stake posted in your letter box. Brilliant huh? I mean everyone likes steaks right? No hang long on. You have an app on your phone and you scroll through the kind of steak you want. You can be anywhere driving in a car, operating a hydraulic press and you get out your phone and in a couple of clicks, you can order the best steak. You know we could even, like, cook them if you wanted. Then in a few days, you get just the right steak just the way you want it."

"Are you sure it's a good idea," I said. "Like, are there any ways it could go wrong?"

I didn't want to be a damp rang about this. What I mean was - four to five days outside the comfort of a fridge might make it well salmonella-ey.

"It's a great idea, it's my best idea yet. The only thing wrong with it is if I don't get on with it immediately someone else could think of it... and the stamps not sticking to the meat. That's not going to work is it?" said Harvey going silent. He rubbed his chin.

"I know - I'll staple the stamps to the steak," said Sam. "That's brilliant. So who wants a stake in steak?"

No one said anything.

"No one has any vision these days," said Harvey. 

"OK if everyone has finished Coffee we need to pay and get out of here," I said.