10. The sweet, sweet hunt

Woaw guys, I had major issues writing this chap. Too much going on to think of how to proceed, which is why it took me like 7 days. I'm sorry about that.. Anyway, it's the 10TH CHAPTER!;D that's like, so special for me :') hahah thanks for sticking around for so long, and ENJOY!;D 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 year later

I watched the full moon with eyes full of hope and a heart full of remorse. Selene stood beside me silently, watching the blaze of the moon with her own mind of worries, of dreams.

“Sometimes, I walk around this place and I can’t help but let my eyes roam all the shadows that pass.” I tell her. We both keep on gazing at the moon, she most likely already knowing the reason why. “You know why?” I ask her anyway, wanting a reply for some childish reason. “No,” She said, instead of indulging me. I smiled then, knowing she wanted me to tell her myself. “It’s because I always hope to see my family wandering around here.”  I look at the ground then, unable to bear the light overhead to shine hope in my eyes where no hope should remain. I knew in my mind that whatever I left behind would never cross my path again, but my heart wishes other things.

Selene touched my shoulder with her hands, soothing my body that was shaking without me noticing. “You know,” I went on, “in a way, the life I left behind seems more like a dream than the one I am living right now.” I snorted, “Yet here I stand, talking to a goddess.” She chuckled softly. “There are always losses in life, sweetheart. We can’t have everything we want.” She gazed sadly at the full moon and I was reminded of the fact that she was the moon. That she was looking at herself. What did she see? I mused. She shot me a glance, but for once didn’t comment on my thoughts. Maybe she didn’t know the answer herself.

“Treasure the moments you hold dear, they’ll keep you strong at times you need it. But be careful, sometimes the most beautiful moments hurt the most.”

Rafe touched the piece of wood that hung from his neck. He was looking at the moon, his thoughts running wild in his head. He heard somebody approaching from behind him and he tensed. He unconsciously widened his feet and his arms were brought slightly away from his body. His fists balled, his knees bent, his breath quick. Ready for whatever threat approached him so silently.

The almost completely silent sounds of footsteps came closer and closer still. He heard the soft rustle of fabric, the soft breath of the animal behind him. He even imagined he heard the heartbeat. Before whatever was behind him could strike, he whirled around and pounced. His shoulder made a big impact with the mass of warm, hard flesh and with a grunt they both fell down.

“Rafe! It’s me!” The person said annoyed from underneath him. Rafe quickly stood and extended his hand. “Sorry Conry,” he mumbled, “I didn’t know.” “So instead of first checking who you were tackling to the ground, you just pounced?” Conry took Rafe’s hand and pulled himself upward. “Though, that tackle was impressive for someone so young. You’re getting better and better.” He patted him on the head. “Caution is good, but don’t be so tense all the time Rafe. I know it’s hard but just.. Try.” Rafe smiled a sad smile at him, but didn’t answer.

Conry was the one who found him a year ago, bashed, wounded and certainly broken. It hadn’t been a pretty picture and Conry was ready to execute his father and Gabriella. He had begged Conry to let them stay alive though. He didn’t want to depend on him. He’ll get over it eventually and when the time came, he would confront them himself. And it felt like he’d lose if he let Conry kill them.

He watched Conry as he walked out of the room and into the garden, his shoulders were slightly drooping and he was frowning. He looked so tired. “Tsup?” Rafe asked.