Step 3: CPN Formats

The format in which CPNs are written is an essential part for authors.

There are many decisions that you, the writer, have the ability to make whilst writing your cell phone novel. You have the freedom to write about anything you want. How you should be formatting your novel is really your decision to make, though it might have an effect on your audience.

First and foremost, here are some examples from well-known English cell phone novels that may give you an even more clear idea about the different formats.

Let's read:

Secondhand Memories by @takatsu

This is the traditional way of writing a cell phone novel. The use of line breaks and white space are evident in the example.

There is a way to stylize your writing by experimenting with the spacing between characters.

Vibrance by @Cosette_TN

Take note: You can create spaces between the letters, but please remember to use it accordingly.

Traditional Japanese cell phone novels typically remain either on the left side or in the center when it comes to formatting. English cell phone novelists have tried to incorporate that particular style of writing into current works, such as:

 English cell phone novelists have tried to incorporate that particular style of writing into current works, such as:

Chizuru by EllieCue

Please keep in mind that the format you are using is to create an impact on the reader of the story and the message that you are trying to get across. I personally would not encourage you to use multiple formatting styles in your novel. The traditional style for cell phone novels encourages a minimalistic style to keep the audience engaged.

As you may have noticed, the examples that are listed in this guide all contain a  different style of formatting. They stand out not only because of the author's choice of wording, but also by the way the work was written.

From using bold, italics, or underlining to emphasize words, lines, sentences, or even with line breaks

Like
...this.

Easy and creative, right? Try to write the first chapters for your cell phone novel as well!

One last thing to remember: Try not to exaggerate words per chapter! Cell phone novels have a maximum count of 200 words only!

While it is okay to add some chapters with few or many words sometimes, it is even more satisfying to develop high-quality, word-balanced works!

Nothing prevents you from using your imagination to create a CPN format that is completely yours. Catch the reader's attention with your unique works! Who knows, you might pique someone's interest because of your original style!