8.

AN: To our mysterious Elinora...

When I'd finished recalling everything to Oslo, he immediately started making kissing noises.

"What?" I demanded.

"Won't be long until she starts guarding you!"

"What nonsense are you spurting out? She's a Queen, she would never-"

Oslo sighed. "You never get any of my innuendoes. My point being, that the two of you are getting closer and closer. It will not be long until you are the closest a man and woman can get."

I tried to smother the fluttering in my chest. "Do not be silly. Elinora would never come to be in love with me."

Rolling his eyes, he muttered something like 'not the kind of close I'm talking about,' before saying "Stop being blind. First the little rendezvous-"

"We-"

He held up a hand. "Shut your mouth and listen. First the daily rendezvous, then the Consort's and darling's-"

"She-"

"Hush. And now a personal Guard to protect Henry with their lives? Oh yeah, and remember that teensy little decree that went something like 'touch Henry, and you'll be touching me, meurd.' Maybe your little infatuation is not as hopeless as you've convinced yourself."

"I...I..." Hope blossomed in my chest, making my entire body flutter at the possibility that...maybe, just maybe, I was not the only one who was falling.

...

Elinora

The storm was especially fierce that night, just like it had been eight years ago.

I had twisted and turned in bed for so long, that I was unsure if the spectrum that appeared was a figment of my nightmares or really the late King's ghost.

It didn't matter.

He approached me, just like he had for months and months after his death, face contorted with sorrow and rage.

"Why, daughter? I trusted you. Was it the Crown? The power?"

He reached the edge of my bed.

I attempted to back away, but my limbs were frozen in place.

"Was it vengeance? Or maybe...that vile woman. Of course. Tell me, princess, has my life exchanged her love?"

His hands gripped my neck. "Why do you keep trying, dear? No one will ever love such a worthless being."

The King smiled. So cold. So very cold. "Nor miss you when you are gone." My mouth opened in a silent scream.