2.

Henry

Every part of my body complained as I wobbled back onto my feet after being knocked down for the umpteenth time. "Your Highness," Oslo called, "stop before you are hurt beyond repair. Please!"

I pursed my lips to stop myself from condemning my servant who was loyal to a fault. Could he not see that his words only fuelled the mockery of others?

I cocked a finger at Alfred, and he attacked me once again with the swiftness and strength of a jaguar. I managed to block the first hits, even going so far as landing a cut on his forearm, but before I could celebrate my small victory, I was knocked down once again.

This time, Alfred did not let me up, but instead placed a knee on my chest, placing his face barely inches from mine. "You will pay for that cut, prince." With that warning, he retrieved a dagger from his boot and ran the blade down my left arm, leaving a hot trail of searing pain and bringing tears to my eyes.

I refused to cry out. "Get off of me, General."

In the distance, I heard Oslo's yelling and the Alfred's accomplices reiterating, perhaps restraining him, but my attention was solely focused on the monster above me. Is this the kind of man Elinora gave her heart to?

He'd dropped his knife, and as I tried to roll out underneath him, he placed his entire weight on my body, using his legs to restrain my arms and his hand a choke grip on my neck.

Alfred landed a ringing blow across my face. "This," he breathed, "is for my woman. For stealing away the girl that was mine long before you'd ever entered the picture."

I struggled, but it was useless.

Another blow. "This, is for my money. The money of the treasury that would have been mine if you'd just never existed."

I strained to keep consciousness.

A third punch to the brow. "And this, is for my crown. The position of prince that you have so crudely taken away from me."

With that, the restraints on my body were released and the world went black.

Vote, Comment or Follow!