Chapter XIII

"It's hard to communicate with these people when they can't see or hear me!" I screamed standing in the middle of the police station.

"If you know they can't hear you, then why are you screaming Colbi?" He asked softly almost as if he were hoping I wouldn't hear him.

"Because I'm frustrated and we have all the evidence. It's been three months! We found proof that he was way too drunk to be behind the wheel. We have a recording of him saying he was going to kill me. And we found the old picture of him hitting the gas instead of the break."

"A. Those beer bottles could have been anyone's. B. The recording is a video from a drunk girl whooping and you can barely hear anyone else. And C. Although you can tell he's speeding up in the picture, everyone is going to be more focused on the three topless girls that are the center focus of the guys snapshot."

"You're not helping!" I screamed turning away from him.

"I'm just stating the facts."

"I know everything we have is circumstantial, but could you please act like we've come a tiny bit closer to giving my family peace."

"We could always stage a heavenly intervention?" He teased. To which I rolled my eyes and gave him the coldest "I wish I could kill you" look yet. "Okay, okay. Bad joke I know. We have no clue how to do that."

"Nope, and I watched the cop pull out the case file and refile it as a suicide this morning because Slader decided that I jumped out in front of his speeding truck now." I raved.

"Yeah..." he cringed.

*sigh* "Look I know you're trying to help and it's been a long time since the accident. We have to find something concrete if we want this to work."

*sigh* He said nothing but takes my hand leading me away from the police station. I protest and pull on my hand, knowing that I am acting like a child, but not caring. I need to give him peace. I can't think of anything else. I cried out in despair as he continued to walk. He acted as if he couldn't hear me. Walking on through town and back into the woods. I stopped protesting and hung my head moving my feet as he dragged me along. Finally he stopped and I looked up. We were standing by the tree where we shared our first kiss. I looked at him confused.

"Colbi, do you remember what I first told you about this life?" He asked softly wrapping his arms around my waist.

"No." I say my breath caught by his sudden closeness. I had never been this close to a man in life.

"Come on, stop being stubborn and think." He said softly.

"I don't know!" I yelled.

"Colbi?" He cooed pulling me closer to his chest. "Think." He leaned down and whispered into my ear.

"You told me I was free. You told me to embrace the freedom and run with it. That I'd be amazed by what I found I could do." I whispered. "What did you mean by that?"

"I meant that you could separate yourself from your past to view these events in a new light. There are ways to communicate with them you just have to stop pretending to be alive. Colbi, sweetheart, you are dead. You need to accept that. You can't go back to your life with your family." He said as the tears ran down my cheeks.

************************************
Hey guys here's another Chapter! I know it's a little short, but I'll make up for that later. I like where this is going. Remember comment, vote, and as always read on! ^_^