7. Masquerade

Share

Chapter 7: "Masquerade"

"Masks have many functions. You can hide behind them, disguise or decorate yourself with them, and use them to achieve a desired effect, but you have to look deeper to see the person within"

I could hear the popular pop music vibrating through the walls even before I stepped into the old warehouse where the Spielberg party was being held. I clenched the mask in my hand and smoothed down the creases in the front of my dress.

I was wearing an elegant red and gold Renaissance dress that my designer Coco De' Lafarge liked to call Renaissance gone Hollywood. It had different silver and gold, swirl designs and a plunging neckline. My breasts were pressed up from my lacy white corset and they were hidden behind a sheer line of white lace. It was a form fitted dress that gave off its own sex appeal.

I swallowed loudly, placed the gold mask carefully around my brunette curled up-do and stepped inside the wide framed door.

The first thing that I noticed once I was through the door was the red and gold fabrics that were over hanging every door way and window in the place. The second thing I noticed was the hundreds of people who were mingling and dancing together. They were all dressed in different unique and expensive Renaissance outfits. I waved at a couple of people who I recognized- even though their masks hid them well- and continued walking through the throng of famous guests.

I looked around and smiled broadly when I saw Richard and Sara talking in a small corner in the room. I was glad to see that they were becoming such good friends.

I walked towards them and exchanged kisses with both of them.

"Oh Haley, you look amazing. I'm seriously jealous!" Sara exclaimed taking both of my hands in hers and eyeing my dress with a playful, but envious glare.

"Don't be Sara." Richard replied, "You are the most beautiful maiden in here tonight." He kissed her hand and she smiled shyly.

I also smiled and tried to overlook the fact that my gay friend was hitting on Sara. "He's right Sara. You look great." I coughed awkwardly.

She was wearing a baby blue and silver lengthened dress and she had white long gloves to match. Her mask was white and her blonde hair was twisted into a French bun.

Sara nodded her thanks to me quickly, but kept staring at Richard. "Thank you." She blushed a light pink, "That's very... sweet."

"Okay." I said figuring it was time for me to leave, "I'm going to go find some other people, but you two have fun." I'm not even sure they heard me, but I left anyways. I continued walking, stopping every few steps to hug or talk to different people in light, happy tones.

"Now Haley." One of the women who I had worked with asked me, "You have to tell me if you're really with David." She had a high nose and dirty blonde hair. Her dress was emerald and her boobs looked like they were about to fly out of her dress.

"Well." I replied smiling immensely and watched as others came to hear my news, "Nothing is official yet, but if I get my way, than yes."

"Oh fabulous, he seems like a real catch."

"Oh he is. I feel like I won the lottery." I giggled.

"Well, you have to tell me what the prize is later." She said nudging me softly in a teasing manner.

"Of course" I winked and walked off to talk to someone else. I was in a deep conversation with a man who I had once slept with and remained friends with, when Clara yanked me back on the arm.