5. Fear and Confessions

Share

Chapter 5: "Fears and confessions"

"If you care about something, you have to protect it. If you're lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -A Prayer for Owen Meany

I found myself staring up at a cute old-fashioned apartment through the window of the yellow taxi that I was riding in. David got out of the cab and walked around to open the door for me. I took his hand and stepped out of the car.

"This is where you live?" I asked staring up at the small elderly apartment in awe.

"Yeah" He shrugged. "It's not much, but it's-"

"Perfect." I interrupted.

"I don't know about perfect, but its home." He smiled lazily down at me and took my hand, "C'mon."

We stepped inside a small vacant elevator and waited eagerly for the doors to close. Just before the doors shut he grabbed my waist and pulled me towards him greedily.

By the time we reached his floor my brown hair was messy, his shirt was half unbuttoned and my sundress was unzipped down to my waist, but hey that's life.

I zipped my dress back up, smoothed down my hair and I tucked it casually behind my ears. I stepped out of the trailer and walked down the hallway. It didn't take long for me to realize that David was still by the elevator. He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. He didn't say anything; he just stared at me with pure amusement.

"Do you make a habit of going in the wrong direction?" he chuckled.

I spun around and half smiled, "Oh, am I going the wrong way?"

He nodded.

"Right I knew that." I lied.

"I'm sure." He smiled and unlocked a door on the right side of the wall. He held it open for me and I stepped inside. His home looked like something you would find in a storybook. I loved it.

The walls were painted a soft crème color. There was a small coffee table in the front room where you walked in and in front of it was a flat screen TV. The couches behind the coffee table were a blood red and the pillows were a gold and brown satin material. The table's legs had carvings of different Aztec designs on it. There was a small indent in the wall that overlooked the kitchen and dining room table. There was a hallway to the left with four doors attached to it.

"What's down there?" I asked casually.

"Oh umm, my room, the bathroom and two guest rooms."

"Wow, I'm impressed. It's bigger than my apartment." I admitted.

"Really it looked big from the outside."

"Well, yeah, but my closet takes up half of the space." I replied sheepishly. He laughed.

"I love it here." I sighed shrugging.

"Well I'm glad." He smiled.

I made my face more serious and walked slowly over to him.

"Careful David, I might never leave."

"I don't mind. I enjoy your company, Haley Monroe." He enunciated the syllables in my name and I ignored the sudden lapse of butterflies that I got from it. I could feel my face forming into a tiny frown and I stared down at my feet so he wouldn't see. He did. He placed his index finger under my chin and lifted it up tenderly so that he could look into my eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked, concerned.

Just as I always do when I'm around David- I stopped thinking and answered with the truth, "I envy you." I admitted. I swallowed and looked away from him, too embarrassed to keep eye contact.