lonely as hell (completed)

ok so i want your feedback.... this was my english short story and the theme was isolation

vote, rate comment

enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I reached the station I jumped on the first train to San Diego. As I sat on the train waiting for my stop I replayed the fight I had with my dad a couple of hours in my head.

“Why can’t I go see my mum, I mean it’s just for one weekend,” he looked up from the floor to look into my bluey- green eyes.

“I said no Kaylen, and my answer is not going to change. You know how I feel about you, or your brothers for that matter, going to see your mother” I could see hurt in his eyes but I haven’t seen my mum since I was four and even then I couldn’t really remember what happened, so there was no way I was backing down.

“I DON’T CARE HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT MUM, IT’S NOT LIKE YOU HAVE TO SEE HER,” I yelled back.

“Im not having this conversation with you now, I’ve got to head off to work, I will see you later tonight” then I left slamming the door behind me.

As I got off the train the wing blew gracefully through my long, brown, curly hair. My mum was already there waiting for me. “Kaylen! I’m so glad you finally came to your senses,” I just shrugged as I got in the back seat of her friend’s car.” As soon as we pulled out of the train station they both lit up a joint. I just rolled my eyes, this was one of the things that I don’t like about my mother, and was the only reason my brothers weren’t answering any of my calls. I just sighed and looked out the window for the rest of the ride home.

It has been three months since I has arrived at my mum’s house and tonight was a big night, I was doing my first drug deal and I was as nervous as hell. For the past two months I have been training for tonight. Mum called it one of her smaller deals but I thought otherwise. For gods sake it was 22 pounds of marijuana! To me this was I big deal.

I tried dialing my second eldest brother’s number again but no such luck. I never knew I would miss them this much. I thought I would enjoy my sleep ins and no more nagging to brush my teeth or any of that little stuff that we used to argue about consistently. I never knew I would need them this much ……………

The day went so quick and before I knew it I was all alone in an alleyway where my first client was supposed to meet me. Turns out he was an hour late but other than that all went better than planned, it felt great knowing that at least someone would be proud of me.

In the past six months I have done many more ‘small deals’ and this next week I was going to Columbia, and no not for a holiday unfortunately, but for the biggest deal yet and im so excited.

I was just about to board the plane when the security guard stopped me. I could feel myself shake violently as I turned around to find a tall muscly man standing right behind me. Shit, I knew I should have never accepted this deal it’s too big of a risk.

“Excuse me ma’am”

“Fuck” I whispered before looking up from the floor to look directly into his eyes.

“May I please see your ticket?” I took the plane out of my back pocket and handed it to him.

“Thank you, have a nice trip”

“oh, you have no idea” and with that I left him standing there speechless.

I ran over the plan again one more time in my head. So I was to catch the 11pm plane out to Columbia by myself whilst the drugs were being taken over the boarder by Carlos who was the new guy that Boss hired a couple of weeks ago. Then when I arrived at the airport I was to meet Carlos where he should be waiting for me. At first I thought it wasn’t fair considering I had been waiting nine whole months for my big break, while he can just waltz on in and do it on one of his first trips. But then it all started to piece together, why Boss wanted Carlos to do it as his first deal, because it was such a big risk that if he did get locked away for drug trafficking then we wouldn’t really be loosing someone of value.

Five hours had passed until we finally touched down in Columbia and as I predicted Carlos was already there leaning against the van “Hey babe, lookin’ hot” he said tipping down his sunnies to get a better look.

“Shut up, get in the car and just drive, that’s all you have to do if you wanna keep your job” I snapped back as I opened up my door and got in the car.

I don’t know how, but I managed to sleep for two hours before Carlos woke me up.

“Wake up sleeping beauty, your prince is awaiting you.”

“What the hell are you on about?” I said sleepily while rubbing my eyes and yawning.

“We are here, and apparently so is our client”

I turned around just in time to see what he was gawking at and sure enough it would have to be one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen, a jaguar XK8. Wow this guy had to be loaded I thought to myself. I swear I could see envy in Carlos’s eye, and I couldn’t say I could blame him. But nothing could prepare me for what, or should I say who got out of that car.

My eldest brother Jake got out of the car and slammed the door. Turns out this was becoming some sort of family business.

“Are you fucking serious! What the hell are you doing here?”

“Nice to see you too sis” I just stared at him tapping my foot waiting for him to answer my question.

He finally spoke up “Well you know …… it’s kind of a long story…………….”

 Well ive’ got plenty of time.” It took him a while until he spoke again.

“Ok well you know all those times that I went out for about two weeks at a time”

“Yeah …”

“Well, at first I was just going around mums place to visit her but as time went on I started doing small drug deals. Then the deals just became bigger and bigger until I hit the top of the chain, or so to speak. I got board just doing the same old deals day in and day out, so I decided to move here, and well from there is decided to start my own importing business. Then I became involved with the mafia who offered me protection in exchange for a couple of pounds of drugs every few weeks or months depending on when they needed it. So yeah… that’s pretty much the shortened version.”

Now it was my turn to speak, “Ok so I understand all of that, but what I don’t understand is why you never answered or returned any of my calls! I needed you Jake” I whispered the last part just loud enough so that he could hear.