4 - Roommate

“Sybil…Sybil it’s time to get up.” Clarence prodded me with her finger giving me no choice but to turn over. Her freckled face loomed so close to me I almost screamed.

   “Urghh…” I groaned and shut my eyes again. I just needed 5 more minutes…

   “Come on, get up.” Clarence was all business now “No-one else gets to sleep in so that means you don’t either.”

   I sat up…Too fast. My head started spinning, I almost missed grabbing the cup and pill that Clarence handed to me.

   I almost dropped it. Riley was sitting on my wardrobe, mouth pulled into a cheeky grin and a single cookie in his hand.

   My eyes widened, and I almost screamed ‘get the fu*k out of my room!’ Somehow, I didn’t think that would go down well with Clarence.

   “Sybil dear, what’s the matter?” asked Clarence, not amused at all. I snatched the pill out of her cold hand and put it in my mouth. Riley looked at me and pointed at me as if to say ‘Don’t you dare’. He made a cut-throat sign that rolled over laughing at my expression.

   I swallowed the water. Not the pill. Clarence nodded and walked out. “Five minutes and I want you down for breakfast.”

   The minute the door clicked shut I spat the pill out into the bin.

   Riley jumped down from the wardrobe “Oh yeah! We sure showed her!” He held his hand up in a high five. I eyed it and raised my eyebrow slowly in a way he’d always thought was creepy.

   “Oh, right. Ghost.” He lowered his hand and gazed around my room, staring thoughtfully at the furniture. “They really put you away?”

   “Uh huh. Not exactly 5 star, right.” He said, eyes solemn. His hair was messy, making him look like a small boy. It was then I realized he really was a boy: He hadn’t aged a day since he died. He looked about thirteen.

   “Yeah well…we aren’t exactly worthy guests.” I said “You so owe me one for not swallowing that pill.”

   “I can spy on people if you like!” He said, winking. I gave a tiny laugh at the prospect of Riley drifting around, spying on people and finding out there deepest secrets.

   There was question that had been bugging me for a long time “Hey Riley…What’s it like being dead?”

   Riley stared at me for a minute and then burst out laughing. I put my hands on my hips and waited for him to stop.

   He stood up gasping and floated over to sit on my bed, messing up the bed I had just made “Yeah, its alright I guess.”

   I raised an eyebrow “You guess?”

   “Yeah. I mean, it’s not as good as being alive right?” I winced. He hurried on hastily, fingering a bracelet I had on my bed “It’s kind of fun really. Spying on people, causing trouble…” He said, winking.

   I chuckled “Yeah, you always were quite good that, weren’t you?”

   He gave me a mock look of horror before the door opened and Clarence stepped through, a look of annoyance on her round face.

    “Sybil, hurry up and change. All the cornflakes will be gone.” Wow, the cornflakes. Better get ready then…sigh.

   When she leaves, begin to pull my polka dot pyjama top off my head. I feel Riley’s eyes on me and stop.

   “Hey, turn around please.” I said. Riley chuckled and turned around slowly. I checked to make sure he wasn’t peeking when I changed.

   When I was changed – I picked out an old pair of jeans and a yellow tee with a paint splatter print – I went to leave and Riley made a move to follow me.