15. Percy, Padfoot, and Prongs

"Troubled youth, got the blues, take a walk in those shoes and see how they fit for a while"  ~ Until You're Big Enough, Mayday Parade

I'm the first to wake up in my dormitory in the morning. I lay for a moment watching dust swirl in the ray of sunlight coming through the gap in my four-poster's hangings, and savour the thought that it was Saturday. The first week of term seemed to drag on forever, like one gigantic History of Magic lesson.

When I pull back the curtains around my bed, I find the dormitory empty. With a yawn, I get up and get dressed, before quickly making my way downstairs for breakfast. 

Hermione, Ron, Tay, and Riley are all sitting down when I arrive, all smiling at me as I join them. 

"Morning," Riley says, extending the word as he pushes a plate of eggs in front of me. "You gotta eat, you didn't eat anything last night."

"Thanks, dad."

"Being likened to James is the greatest thing that has ever happened in my life," he states, leaning back in his chair with a smirk. 

"I'll be sure to pass that on." I wink, taking a sip of coffee. 

Just a few minutes later, Harry joins us at the table, looking happier than I've seen him in days. 

"Morning," he says brightly. 

"What's got you looking so cheerful?" I ask, eyeing him in surprise. 

"Erm...Quidditch later," he says happily, pulling a large platter of bacon and eggs towards him. Though his face says I'll tell you later. 

"Oh...yeah..." Ron says, taking a large swig of pumpkin juice. "Listen...you two don't fancy going out a bit earlier with me, do you? Just to - er - give me some practice before training?" So I can, you know, get me eye in a bit."

"Yeah, okay."

"Look, I don't think you should," Hermione says seriously. "You're all really behind on homework as it - "

 But she breaks off; the morning post is arriving and, as usual, the Daily Prophet is soaring towards her in the beak of a screech owl, which lands perilously close to the sugar bowl and holds out a leg. Hermione pushes a Knut into its leather pouch, takes the newspaper, and scans the front page critically as the owl takes off. 

"Anything interesting?" Ron asks. I grin, knowing Ron is keen to keep her off the subject of homework. 

"No," she sighs, "just some stuff about the bass player in the Weird Sisters getting married."

 Hermione opens the paper and disappears behind it. Harry devotes himself to another helping of eggs and bacon. Ron is staring up at the high windows, looking slightly preoccupied, and Tay and Riley begin a long-winded conversation about the Weird Sister's bassist. 

"Wait a moment,' Hermione says suddenly. "Oh no...Sirius!"

"What's happened?" Harry and I ask, both snatching at the paper so violently that it rips into three pieces, with all of us holding different halves. 

"The Ministry of Magic has received a tip-off from a reliable source that Sirius Black, notorious mass murderer...blah blah blah...is currently hiding in London!" Hermione reads, in an anguished whisper. 

"Lucius Malfoy, I'll bet anything," Harry says in a low, furious voice. 

"Shit, he did recognise Sirius on the platform..." I his. 

"What?" Ron says, looking alarmed. "You didn't say - "

"Shh!"

"...'Ministry warns wizarding community that Black is very dangerous...killed thirteen people...broke out of Azkaban...' the usual rubbish," Hermione concludes, laying down her third of the paper. "Well, he won't be able to leave the house again, that's all," she whispers. "Dumbledore did warn him not to."