Part 3

Part 3

“When the world screams ‘Give up,’ Hope whispers, “Try it one more time.’”

-Anonymous

___________________________________

I slammed painfully into the side of the bridge as an arm grabbed onto my hand and pulled.

No.

The man pulled and pulled until I was almost back on the bridge.

No, no, no!

I hit the bridge with a thunk as I toppled to the ground. The man grabbed onto my shoulders as I tried to fight against him.

“No! NO! Let me die! Let me be sent to hell! Anywhere is better than here!” just like a switch was turned on in my mind, the tears came. They flowed freely down my cheeks as I wept and struggled against the man.

“Calm down! Stop! STOP!!” he shouted furiously, freezing me in place. I looked up to find him leaning over me, his black mop of hair splayed across his face, almost hiding his beautiful French blue eyes. The kind of eyes that were truly windows to the soul. The kind of eyes I could relate to. And that scared me.

He sighed, almost dejectedly, before letting go of me and leaning against the railings with a sorrowful sigh. I carefully lifted myself up and shuffled back so that I too was leaning. Silence slid between us, like a deadly gas: horrible, thorough, and inescapable. Finally, I coughed back against the silence.

“You should have let me die. I didn’t want to be saved.”

“I can’t let you do that. I know life sucks, but what could be that bad that you don’t want to live?”

I turned to him, and stared once more at his honest eyes. Everything about them entranced me. The glow of sympathy, casting off stardust like a diamond or the licking, bending flames of a fire at night. The deep pain that hid in the bright blue. The thick black lashes that perfectly framed them, urging me to confess. Most importantly, the sense of hope in his soothing gaze.

“I’m invisible. Invisible Ophelia. No one see’s me. Not even my one hope. If no one cares, what’s the point in trying anymore? Now I have to suffer through each and every day. For all you know, I could just try and end this torment again tomorrow.”

“Well then I’ll just have to wait here tomorrow. Believe it or not Ophelia, I care. I see you.”

I froze as time slowed down.

Him, this man.

He sees me.

The tears began to flow again, but for a different reason, I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around him, weeping into his shoulder as he pat my back comfortingly. Once the tears had stopped, I slowly pulled away. Until I saw his arm.

Long, swollen cuts adorned his wrist like cruel Christmas decorations. He caught my gaze and sadly pulled his sleeve down to cover his arms once more.

“I was invisible once…” he whispered, trailing off as he stood up abruptly.

“It was nice meeting you. I have to-”

I grabbed onto his hand, halting his escape as I stared into his eyes once more.

“Just as you saw me, I see you,” I whispered reassuringly. He sent me a shaky smile before tightening his grip on my fingertips.

That’s when I knew I wouldn’t have to cry anymore.