Part 2

Part 2

“One of the hardest things in life is watching the person you love, love someone else.”

-Anonymous                    

___________________________________

I grabbed the package tightly in my hand as I took a deep breath. Everything was there. The chocolate, the note…

I gulped again as I felt my hands go clammy. “You can do this. He’s the one!” I reassured myself before setting off. It was right after school and he was probably in the garden behind the red bricked building.

Pushing my way through leaves and shrubs, my heart began to swell as I caught sight of his shaggy brown hair. He was sitting on a bench, nervously drumming his fingers against his knee as he looked for something. I advanced again before freezing. Someone else was here.

A girl with long blonde hair walked up to Drew. He stood up and smiled happily at her. I should have left there, but, being me, I stayed and watched.

“You came!” he shouted happily. The girl ran towards him and he stood up to catch her in a loving embrace.

“Of course I came! This was the only chance I got to see you! I’ve missed you so much babe,” she said earnestly. Drew smiled wider as if some part of him had been filled. I was shocked. I should’ve cried, but tears wouldn’t come out. Frozen in place as my heart was slowly ripped out of my chest.

“I’m just glad you’re here,” he whispered, pulling her closer as he kissed her. Light seemed to emanate from the couple as birds flew overhead, creating the perfect romantic scene.

My perfect romantic scene.

I couldn’t take it. My body was numb. Stumbling away, I felt millions of daggers stabbing into every part of my skin. My broken heart went still, and for a moment I felt as if I had been ripped from reality. And then I came crashing back down with a torrent of anger and sadness surging through me with so much power I didn’t know what to do. My mind went black, and so did my heart.

I clenched my fists, and my fingers dug into my palms until I felt them bleed. And yet, the pain was nothing compared to the throbbing ache in my chest.

As the world collapsed around me, I found myself moving towards the highway bridge by the school. What was I planning on doing there?

Even though I questioned it, I knew why I was there.

Stepping onto the bridge, I stared down at the rush hour traffic, completely numb and devoid of emotions.

Now that he was gone, who would see me?

And with that, my life shattered as I stepped off the bridge.