Chapter Twenty Two

"Kai? What is it?" came Kayla's voice, small and quiet.

I answered her without looking at her, afraid he would disappear if I did, "Jude is here."

Jude furrowed his brows together and glanced at them, stating in a calm whisper, "You told them."

"Yes. They saw what you did. I didn't have a choice."

"Kai, is he mad?" Preston asked, but I didn't answer him since I wasn't sure.

Jude backed up a little, uncertainty clouding his face, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I answered quickly, scooting closer, "What's wrong?"

He looked once more at the other two, "There's no time to explain. Something's coming for me."

"What's coming for you?"

"Something's coming?" Preston asked, sounding fearful.

"Guys," I said looking over at them, "Just hold on for a few please, okay?"

He nodded and I turned back to Jude who sighed before continuing, "I don't know."

His haunted eyes tore at me, pulling on my heartstrings and I wished I could hold him. I didn't know how to comfort Jude. It was so dang frustrating to me. He looked so lost and I could do nothing to help, nothing to calm his fears. I felt so helpless. I can't imagine how he was feeling.

"Okay, but you said you needed my help. How can I help?" My eyes searched his, looking for untold clues.

He paused, scrunching up his face in agitation, saying more firmly, "I don't know."

I didn't know what to say to him, nothing seemed adequate, I saw Kayla and Preston exchange a glance as I spoke, "Oh. Just breathe and tell me what you do know. We'll go from there."

His haunted eyes lit up briefly with humor at that and he smiled a little, "I don't breathe, you goof."

I chuckled, "Oh right."

"What's so funny?" Kayla asked, then clapped a hand over her mouth, "Oops, sorry. I know I wasn't supposed to speak. It just came out."

"He was pointing out that he doesn't breathe," I answered her quickly.

"Oh," she giggled, "Okay."

Jude smiled, "She's delightful," then his gaze turned more serious, "It's coming. I have to hide. I have to go."

"Wait!" I called, "You haven't explained anything yet. What's coming?"

"There's no time. I have to go. It can't find me. I'm sorry. I'll come back as soon as the coast is clear," he said before zooming through a wall, leaving behind only a shimmering foggy trail that disappeared as quick as he had.

"Is he gone?" Preston stood up, looking around as if he could locate him.

"What's going on?" Kayla asked with a worried frown on her pixie-like face.

I sighed and looked around for a trace of whatever was to come, "I don't know. He said something was coming. An 'it' is coming. He didn't have time to explain."

The lights went out plunging us into darkness. A creepy nails on the chalkboard sound rumbled through the house. It was a scream, a banshee-like screech.

"Dude! What was that? Do you see anything?" Preston cried out.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god," Kayla repeated, her voice shaking and her voice thick with fright.

"No, not yet. Stay calm," I said in a firm voice, considering my whole body was shaking from anxiety.

Wriggling shadows crept along the walls like tentacles, searching for its prey. I inhaled deeply, holding my breath in anticipation of what was to come. My eyes scanned the room, looking for anything that could be a clue. The cat was sitting in the middle of the hallway staring at us, it's eyes glowing in the dark. Like that thing wasn't already creepy to begin with. What the heck?