8. Frozen Grandparents

Dana wandered around the house, seeing some familiar faces, but most of these people were strangers to her.  Since it was getting very crowded, and she felt somewhat claustrophobic, she decided to search for the nearest toilet – she needed to fix her hair anyway.

Once she found it, she knocked on the door, and it opened to reveal Gary, who's eyes widened at the sight of her – they hadn't spoken properly since their encounter by the car, and for some reason, things felt awkward for the two.

"D-Dana, hi,"

"Hi," she sighed, grinning.

Why am I grinning, and why does this feel so weird? It's only Gary, she thought.

He then slammed the door, causing her to frown, she chuckled though when she heard him shouting inside, "I can't believe you! You're farting and Dana's outside! Light a match or something! Light a fire, I don't know!"

She heard who she guessed was Wyatt, mutter something in reply, and then Gary re-opened the door, "Hi,"

Why is this so awkward? It's not like we've kissed or anything.

"I-I'm sorry, I thought this was a girl's toilet," Dana explained, looking to her feet.

Why am I getting so flustered? Pull yourself together, Dana!

Gary ran his hand through his hair, as he stammered, "Yeah, it's, uh, it's just us dudes, ya know,"

Dana nodded, "So, uh, why are you in here and not downstairs enjoying the party?"

"Gary's just taking a shit!" Wyatt yelled from inside the bathroom.

Gary looked like a deer caught in headlights as he closed the door again.

He hit Wyatt around the back of the head, "What are you doing?" he whisper-shouted.

Wyatt chuckled, "Proving that you like Dana, you clearly care what she thinks of you," he smirked.

Gary glared at him, before opening the door once more.

"What I meant was-"

"I know what you meant," Gary snapped.

Dana cleared her throat, "Right, uh, I'll go and find another toilet then,"

"Wait!" Gary took her arm, instantly letting go when he realised how weird he must've looked, "I didn't mean to snap at you, it's just, Wyatt's, uh-"

"It's fine, I get it," Dana smiled, before walking off.

Gary leaned against the door, and hit his head on it slightly, before joining Wyatt in the bathroom, "Now look what ya did,"

Wyatt raised his eyebrows, holding his hands up in surrender, "I didn't do anything, you're the one that snapped at her,"

"Yeah, because of you! Now she thinks I hate her,"

Wyatt shrugged, "Doesn't she anyway? I thought that was your thing, you know, you two always fighting and calling each other names-"

"Yeah, well, maybe I don't want that to be 'our thing' anymore," he sighed.

--

Dana was sat quietly outside, fiddling with the straw in her drink, when she heard a voice from the door, "What are you doing out here?"

It was Lisa. She sat down next to Dana, who sighed, "I don't know, I needed some fresh air?"

Lisa rolled her eyes, "It's Gary, isn't it? Let me guess, every thing's awkward now because of how different you two acted towards each other at the car," she paused, "And you care, because..."