XIX. PHONE CALL

"IS IT TRUE?" Isabela Brooks asked her best friend after hearing the dial tone three times and calling him over and over again. The brunette was tired, her blue eyes losing colour within every passing second for she had been up all hours of the night, thinking about everything that Joe had told her before he cut off all communication with her. She could barely think about what she wanted to say to Alex since there were too many thoughts that was clouding her ability to say the right things. It scared her, she wasn't going to lie, for she knew that if she said the wrong thing, she would not only have lost one person that she cared about, but two.

"Good morning to you too," Alex scoffed, almost mocking her upset tone. "And I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Are you in love with me Alex?" The brunette asked carefully, hearing him gulp on the other end which only confirmed her suspicions. Izzy instantly regretted cutting to the chase for now, she wasn't sure if she wanted to know his answer.

"Who told you that?" Alex's voice was quiet and shaky, two actions that confirmed Izzy's suspicions. The brunette never got the chance to respond for he was already swearing under his breath and cursing the name of the boy. "Joe."

"Tell me that he did it for nothing, Alex. Don't tell me that he did it for something."

When there was nothing but silence from Alex, Izzy persisted again and again until he finally spoke up, a small laugh erupting from his mouth that she could hear through the phone.

"It feels so wrong to tell you this over the phone."

"I need to hear you say it, Al."

"Joe wasn't lying. I am in love with you, Izzy. But I'm not here to force you into a relationship that you don't want-" he paused for a moment and she took the time to process his words for she had never imagined a world where Alex was in love with her.

"I still want to be your best friend, Izzy. I know that you don't feel the same way and to me, that's okay. I just want you to be happy, even if the person that you're happy with is Joe."

"I'm sorry, Al," she finally whispered, taking a seat down on the edge of her bed, tears forming in the edges of her eyes because she knew that she was breaking his heart and to her, there wasn't a worse feeling in the world.
"I like him, I like him a lot."

"I know that, Iz, but when I saw you kissing him out there at the party, I just felt crushed because I thought that he was toying with my feelings. So, when he saw me, I didn't know what to think of it. Then he left and I-"

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, Al, he was the one who blocked me and I just-" she paused for a moment, shaking her head.

"You what?"

"I don't want to lose him, Alex. I don't want to lose you either."

"You'll always have me here, Iz, I can promise you that. As for Joe, I'll help you take care of that."

"What are you going to do?"

"Leave it to me," he whispered through the phone before suddenly hanging up, leaving Izzy dumbfounded and wondering what exactly Alex was going to do and if his actions were going to be for better or for worse.