Chapter 12

A/N: My apologies for the long wait on this chapter, everyone.  Thank you to those still reading!

________________________

Chapter 12 – Finn's POV

The next few days become an anxious waiting game. The eyes of the Secondaries follow me everywhere, and the minutes become a blur of green uniforms and probing stares. Aside from sleep, Reyo keeps me close to his side. Bogdan never joins us. The days apart from him start to turn into a dull ache deep within my chest.

At some point I agree to let Reyo take a sample of my blood. He hovers over me with a gentle smile, cleaning the crook of my elbow with eager eyes that belie his calm expression. His cold fingers squeeze my forearm, and the rich blood flows from my veins into the empty vial. I tell myself I'm doing this because I want it to be my blood that changes Kelly back into a human. That all of this is my choice.

...but I know, deep down, it's not.

Reyo holds out a Band-Aid and nods that he's finished. His gaze falls on the vial of my blood, shaking his head a single time.

"Beautiful," he murmurs.

His fingers close around the small bottle, and he strides over to his desk, tucking it away where I can't see. I place the bandage across the small dot of blood on the soft skin of my forearm and clear my throat.

"Any word on my friends?" I ask. "Kelly? Leo?"

"Leo is well on his way to recovery," Reyo assures me with a kind smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes. "He should be released from the medical unit within the next day or so. Unfortunately, the units searching for Kelly haven't reported any news."

My face falls. "Oh."

There's no reason I shouldn't believe him. It's clear this man is well-respected among the Secondary population. I haven't heard a single word uttered against him. Then again, I'm not a Secondary. Even if people are opposed to him, I won't be the one to hear it. Reyo and I might be agreeing to a professional deal in order to save the human population, but we each have our own agenda for it.

Does that mean I can't trust him?

If I was asking Bogdan, he'd tell me there's no way I can trust this man. In Reyo's defense, however, a vampire's genetic make-up puts everyone as a possible threat until given reason to believe otherwise.

Reyo studies me closely before his brow furrows into a frown. As if sensing my uncertainty, he tries again. "I'll check again while you're here."

He takes a seat and presses a few buttons to pull his various monitors to life. The two on the far right display different camera angles of the labyrinth of hallways and common rooms within this hidden world they call home.

Without his permission, I gravitate towards the screens. He doesn't seem to notice or mind my closeness, but I don't dare get closer to the screens than he does. I may be a guest and soon-to-be a professional partner in warfare, but I'm still not a friend. My eyes roam over the digital pictures popping in and out of view. One catches my eye. I frown and lean forward, accidentally bumping the side of Reyo's chair as I do.

"Can you do a close-up of that one?" I ask, distracting Reyo from his reports and pointing towards the small screen in the corner.

Reyo nods. With a click of a few buttons, the small screen enlarges and takes up the size of the entire monitor. Sure enough, it's Bogdan – grabbing for a book in the common room and standing very close to another man I don't recognize. My eyes sweep over the mystery man with jealous curiosity. I hate to admit that he's attractive. I swallow back the sudden lump in my throat, hating the possessiveness flaring to life within me.