Chapter 1 - From Geek To Chic

This was it. A new impression at Cedarwood Academy.

I entered through the huge iron gates and the minute I walked in, I felt eyes penetrating into my back. I felt like an old mustang in a show full of new cars.

From what i could tell, the school was divided into different groups: the preps, goths, emos, nerds, skaters, jocks, the gansters - or should i say 'wannabe gangster - and ofcourse, the popular, bitchy girls.

As I turned around, I saw a group of girls wearing matching pink tube tops and mini skirts smirking in my direction. 

"Nice clothes," one of them said. "Steal them off a homeless guy?" Everyone around her began laughing hysterically. 

I felt the heat rise in my face, even though it was halfway through winter. It was my favourite dress.

As I turned around again, I heard her friend yell behind me, 

"Yeah. So, did you get a blind man to do your hair? Oh wait... you did it!" The large crowd cracked up.

I walked away, trying not to care about what they had said. One of them said something else, but I was running now, so i was too far to hear what they had said. Well, I didn't care. It was my time to make a new impression of me. I wiped away the tears which had gathered in my eyes and headed towards the school building.

I walked inside. A huge banner in gold letters shouted 'Cedarwood Academy'. To my right were large yellow lockers, filling the long hallway. To my left was another hallway filled with classrooms and posters scattered on the walls opposite, some about Drama Workshops and others about a Buddy System set up in the school. I got up to take a look at one of the posters. It read "Hey recent grads! Do you need a buddy? Well here is your opportunity! We need to know a bit about you first, so if you would like to apply, please collect an application form from the Office." Just as I finished reading, the school bell rang, indicating first period. I rushed inside, wanting to get to class before the rush hour began.

I looked at my schedule. I headed for my first class; History. 

"Everyone inside for registration, please." 

Our teacher was a young woman called Ms Rayman, who was as sweet as honey. She was dressed in a black dress, a green sweater, a thin belt and green pumps. She wore lavender perfume, which reminded me of my grandmother, who had recently passed away. I began to get sniffly again. 

After she had done with the register, we started our lesson. I looked around, smiling at the strangers around me. They all gave me funny looks. Just as I was about to turn around, I wiped the smile off my face. It was the wicked witch of the west coast and her crew, glaring at me with those beady eyes of hers. I quickly turned around and began paying attention to Ms Rayman. 

"Ok class. So, this term we are studying World War 1, which I'm aware you have all studied before. Now, as a quick recap, can anyone tell me anything that they can remember from Freshman year?" 

Everyone glaced around at each other, 'blank' written across their foreheads. I shot my hand up.

"Yes?" she smiled at me, cupping her hands together. 

"World War 1 was a military conflict lasting from 1914 to 1918 and involoved many different powerful countries such as Russia, France, Italy, the British Empire, US, Japan, Serbia, Belgium and a few others. The main cause of this war was the failure to balance power in Europe. The war was triggered by the assissination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his pregnant wife Sophie." I said, sighing with the little pride left in me. 

I knew everyone felt like killing me. But hey, I still had some nerd left in me. 

"Wow! That was an amazing answer! Well done! Keep it up like this and you'll be an A+ student in no time." She gave me the 'i'm-so-proud-of-you' look.

After the lesson was over, I rushed out for recess, cradling my books in my arms. As I was speed-walking, I bumped into a handsome boy who looked the same age as me.

He had radiant blue eyes and caramel coloured hair that obstructed his eyes when he looked up. My books fell down with a loud THUMP!, but I was too busy trying to get his attention to care. He reached down, his corduroy jeans flaring as he picked them up. 

"I'm so sorry!" he said, with a cute, deep voice, handing my books back to me. I nearly dropped them again but I managed to steady myself. 

"Oh.. um.. thanks.. I'm sorry too..." I mumbled shyly. Just then, the witch came over and linked arms with him, pinching his soft, lucious cheeks. 

"Oh, hey Ariana." he said, smiling sweetly. Oh that smile nearly made me melt in my spot. 

So Ariana, huh. 

"Hey babe." she said flirtly, trying to get me jealous. But it wasn't working in the slightest bit. 

"Why don't you head over to the chemistry lab and wait for me while I grab my bag from upstairs." she said, pushing him a little. 

"Er.. sure." he waved at me and headed across the field, his hands in his pockets.

"Oi. You. You sure are brave; someone as ugly as you to have such courage to talk to someone as handsome a guy as that. Well, you dare try to talk to him again and you'll be making some new friends." She pointed to her fist, punching one into her other palm. I knew what that meant. And it was NOT a good sign. "Understood?" she glared at me.

"Er. Whatever." I tried to sound confident, but I sounded like a turkey with a bad throat. 

She walked away, her shiny blonde hair waving in the slight breeze. 

'Wow. High school sure is a dream come true.' I thought sarcastically.