Chapter Nine

Gaston was seated in his chair as the roaring fireplace brought light to his wounds

Gaston was seated in his chair as the roaring fireplace brought light to his wounds. Evelyn gently dipped the cloth back into the hot water and rung out the excess. Looking up at Gaston, she watched as he closed his eyes, anticipating the pain he was about to endure. She stood from the floor and placed a hand firmly on his shoulder, not only to keep him from jumping, but also letting him know that she was there for him. His torso and arms were completely bare, revealing the mesmerizing muscles of his arms and chest as they were accentuated by the fires glow. Evelyn pressed the cloth onto one of the claw marks as Gaston groaned in pain, his muscles tensing at the cloths contact.

"I know, I know," Evelyn's voice was weak and shaky as she tried to comfort Gaston. Lefou and Andrew stayed by the bar, unable to fully take into account just how bad his wounds were. "Just a couple more, I promise."

"This?" Gaston's voice was strained for a moment before relaxing himself when then cloth was taken away. He almost seemed to puff out his chest as his voice turned to a tone of confidence. "I've been through much worse pain than this in the army. Can't think of a time right now..."

He watched kindly as Evelyn knelt back down onto the cold floor, dipping the bloody cloth back into the steaming water. Her hair was frazzled, hardly even contained in the original braid anymore. Evelyn's face looked white and terribly startled, most likely afraid that she was going to hurt him even more. The crackling of the fire was now the only sound within the walls of the tavern, calming Gaston's nerves slightly.

"I'm sorry," Evelyn spoke to the floorboards in a hushed tone. "It's all my fault, I should have never left you."

"Evelyn, listen to me, none of this is your fault," Gaston's voice was stern, demanding her attention. "This most likely still would have happened even if you were present. I'm just thankful you weren't."

Evelyn stayed silent, but still didn't accept that she wasn't at fault for this. Ringing out the cloth once more, she now kneeled on the left side of the chair, examining the scratch that extended slightly to his left side. Evelyn cautiously placed her hand on top of Gaston's, which resided on the armrest, before dabbing the cloth onto the wound. He winced but controlled and steadied his breathing. She paused for a moment before finishing up her tending of the other wounds.

"That's all the cleaning the woman said I had to do," stated Evelyn as she placed the cloth into the warm water of the bowl. "Now I just have to bandage it."

Grabbing the bandage material, Evelyn started from under his arms to just below his rib cage. No doubt Gaston was filled relief that the torturous cleansing was over, but as he tried to stand from the chair, excruciating pain shot throughout his body.

Evelyn helped Gaston sit back down within his chair as she threw another log into the fire. The stone tavern was rather drafty as Evelyn could feel goosebumps rise on her arms and legs. Gaston's hair hung to his shoulders, wild and messy. The scruff on his face was profound as it slightly hid his chiseled features. Pulling over a wooden chair, she placed it beside his cushioned one, their eyes meeting and lingering on each other.

"Thank you," Gaston huskily said with a faint smile upon his lips. "for everything."

"You would have done the same for me," Evelyn stated quietly, hoping that her assumption was true.

She was right, at this point, he would have done anything for her. Gaston could see the natural blush upon her cheeks as she turned her gaze towards the fire, watching as the flames danced upon the logs.

"I'm sorry about your crossbow," she said sorrowfully. "I didn't think to retrieve it for you."

Gaston chuckled, smiling broadly towards her. "After all that's happened, you're worried about my crossbow?"

"I wasn't sure..."

"I have plenty more, and who knows, maybe it'll still be there," Gaston replied optimistically.

Evelyn could hardly keep herself awake as she felt her eyelids grow heavy. However, she was fearful to leave Gaston unattended. He looked over at her, noticing just how exhausted the days events had made her.

"Go to bed, Evelyn," his voice caused her to fully open her eyes in his direction. "Lefou will stay with me."

"No, no, that's..." She tried to argue, but her sentence was interrupted by a yawn. "Lefou, do you mind?"

From over at the bar, to which sometime during the last few moments Andrew had left, Lefou nodded kindly towards the girl. She had done so much for Gaston that it seemed only fair. "I'll watch over him," Lefou stated.

Evelyn stood from the wooden chair and began walking towards her room rather sluggishly. She rubbed her eyes, wanting nothing more then to rest her head against a cool pillow.

"Oh, Evelyn," called Gaston, causing her to turn around rather quickly. "the woman who helped save my life... what was her name?"

"Agathe," replied Evelyn sleepily. "that was her name."

Gaston felt his skin turn cold and his palms clammy at the sound of the Enchantresses name. Had she shared any bit of his past with Evelyn as she mended him? Not only had Agathe now saved his life once, but twice. She now met Evelyn, perhaps seeing that there was a possibility for him to break her curse after all. Now, Gaston was uncertain if she would be with him, or against him.

Evelyn fell onto her bed, reminiscing on all that had happened earlier in the day. However, she could only replay Gaston's words from their earlier conversation.

This most likely still would have happened even if you were present. I'm just glad you weren't.

He did care for her wellbeing and safety after all, even though just days prior he was willing to throw her out into the bitterness of the night. She crawled in between the covers, trying to keep herself from the draft of the window. Evelyn wasn't quite sure how she viewed Gaston, but knew something was there that wasn't there before.