Chapter Eight

Evelyn commanded and pushed the thoroughbred to its maximum speed

Evelyn commanded and pushed the thoroughbred to its maximum speed. A blanket of darkness was starting to sweep and consume the land. The temperature was beginning to drop, leaving Evelyn wishing she had grabbed her cloak before she left. The chill of night stung Evelyn's face as the horse powered on, jumping fallen trees, splashing through small creeks, and kicking up clouds of dust behind them. Evelyn could feel her heart beating faster and faster as the journey continued. The thunderous sounds of hooves and loud breathing of the strong creature sent Evelyn's heart into a frenzy. The horse would jump over obstacles with such ease before crashing back onto the forest floor with a thud, jolting her around and testing just how tightly she was holding onto the reins. Seeing the end of the forest in sight, Evelyn snapped on the leather reins once more. It was as though she was flying rather than riding, the horses speed was impeccable and seemed almost too impossible to be real. They arrived in the tall grass which hardly touched the underside of the thoroughbred for how large he was. Pulling on the reins, Evelyn stopped the creature in order to gain her surroundings. She could faintly make out the tall tree her and Gaston had resided under and kicked the side of the horse, sending them over in that direction. It wasn't until Evelyn could make out the dim light of a lantern out within the meadow that she dismounted the horse, tying it securely to a branch before quickly running through the tall grass towards the ominous light.

Reaching the light, there was a small, old woman draped in a brown cloak hovering over the wounded hero. She looked up curiously at Evelyn before continuing the place what looked like herbs onto his open wounds. Evelyn's heart shuddered at the sight. Gaston's vest had been torn open as significant claw marks descended down the white blouse, blood lining the tears.

"W-What happened to him?" Evelyn quietly asked the woman as she knelt down in the tall grass next to Gaston.

"Wolves," the voice croaked in reply. "Most likely going after the freshly killed deer."

Gaston seemed almost unconscious, but each time the woman would place a new herb on the wound, he would flinch slightly. Evelyn placed a hand on Gaston's forehead gently, checking for a fever.

The old woman sat back from her meticulous work, examining the girl for a moment. "Do you have a horse?" 

"Y-Yes," stuttered Evelyn out of shock. "He's tied to a nearby tree."

The woman nodded. "Go fetch him."

Evelyn stood quickly and ran through the grass back towards the tree. The steed whinnied wildly as Evelyn tried to calm him, and when she did, she untied the creature and lead him towards the woman and his master. The old woman's eyes seemed to widen at the sight of the gigantic beast before her, but then stood as well.

"Take the lantern and return him to the tavern, tend to his wounds with hot water and bandage them. He will be alright," her voice rattled before beginning to turn around and leave, seeing that her work was done.