Chapter 2 - Tears and Pain

I shot out of bed like a bullet. Within two minutes, I was dressed and banging on my mom's bedroom door. 

"Mom! Mom, wake up!" I shouted. After shouting for a little bit, my mom came and opened the door. 

"Gemma? What's wrong?" She asked. I was out of breath from shouting and getting ready so fast, so I held a finger up. She waited until I could talk. 

"I heard an emergency alert about a car crash...about a teenage girl who got badly wounded and her sister got killed...and Hollie just texted me saying she was in the hospital and crying her eyes out." I managed to choke out. Hollie's older sister was only two years older than her, and if they were talking about her sister, Hollie was going to be dead on the inside. Besides me, her sister was probably the closest person to her. She loved her more than anything. 

"What?!" My mom cried. She ran back into her room, and practically ripped off her pajamas to put on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. "Text Hollie and ask her what happened, and that we're on our way." 

I nodded, and replied to Hollie's message. 

"We're on our way, Hollie. What happened? Are you alright?"  

I figured the text was okay, so I sent it, and my mom tugged on her shoes before moving around me to get to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and then went downstairs. I followed her, and before we went out the door, she grabbed us both some cereal bars. I was too worried to eat, so I just stuffed them in my bag. 

My mom drove like a maniac. We made it to the hospital in twenty minutes, even though it was supposed to be a forty minute drive. Right as I stepped out of the car, my phone went off. I read the message and shut my eyes. My mom noticed that something was wrong, and took my phone from my hands. 

"It was her! Oh, shit. Mom, Hollie's sister is dead." I opened my eyes, and then started to sprint towards the hospital entrance. My mom followed, and we almost smashed into the automatic doors because we didn't want to wait for them to open. 

The secretary at the desk was fairly small, and she looked no older than twenty-five. She smiled at us and asked what we needed. 

"We're here to see a Hollie Michaels. What room is she in?" My mom asked politely. I could tell she was anxious, but she kept her good posture and plastered a smile on her face. 

"Room 257. Are you family?" The secretary started typing in something to her computer, and my mom looked at me expectantly. I shrugged. 

"The closest thing to family she has besides her actual one." I told her. She nodded and told us we could go. It took us a little bit to find Hollie's room, but we did eventually. I peeked around the door, and she was laying in the bed, playing with a piece of string. My mom pushed me forward, so I entered, and even though I didn't want to, put a huge smile on my face. 

"Gem? I'm sorry for waking you up this late at night. I just didn't really want to be alone. My parents can't come see me for a few days. Thanks for coming to see me. Oh, and I--" I interrupted Hollie by putting my hand on her arm. 

"It's fine. Anything for the sister." As soon as that last word left my mouth, I regretted it. Hollie looked down at the bed, and she looked like she wanted to die. I watched her sit there silently like that for a moment before a couple of tears started falling down her cheeks. "Oh, Hollie--it's okay, I'm sorry...I shouldn't have--" 

"It's alright. It just happened recently, is all." She managed to pull a small smile before completely bursting into tears. I slid onto the bed and put my arms around her. "Gemma...what am I going to do? Hannah's deadShe's dead." I looked at my mom, and she came over to sit down with us. She started patting Hollie's back.